April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Jtplumb), 1,113 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,299
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan--What make and caliber is the percussion gun in the front with the brass crescent butt plate and cheek piece? smile

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, I've got 7 guns that have their own cases and I could squeeze maybe 3 in my safe. Of course, then I'd have to remove the 8 that are in there now because they don't have their own case(s).

As far as displaying all my guns in my library my library is not that big. I currently have 13 guns that have no safe home that are displayed in my library, some not in the most flattering way. And then there are an additional 3 that are in their cases and slipped under pieces of furniture.

I think I must have writtene my post in a way that seems to be misleading. Let me start over.

I currently have a safe. It's a secure, fireproofed heavy thing that is split between long guns and shelves for handguns. At one time, awhile back, the number of my handguns far exceeded the number of my long guns.

The long guns in my safe led me to write this post becuse it seems they inevitably get nicked and such by just being removed from their cramped space.

I want to know if there exists a larger, roomier safe which can safely accommodate doubleguns in a fashion so that they can easily be removed and put back.

I have removed some guns from my safe to make it somewhat roomier and now have eight nice doubles in there. But they still are cramped.

Again, I need a large, roomy safe to accommodate double guns and longguns in particular ONLY. NO provisions for handguns.

I may even need TWO more safes, I don't know.

I just want t o know if anyone knows of a safe that is marketed out there somewhere that can meet the criteria.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Joel,

That is a .54 cal. Leman trade rifle that I built in 1983 out of some parts I got together. The barrel is a Green River Rifle Works (not Green Mtn.) 7 land and groove, 1 1/16" x 33" long. It shoots a hand cast .537" ball and .018" ticking lubed with teflon well enough to win the SC State Offhand Championsip several times, and the GA Benchrest Championship. I use the .537" ball for the first shot hunting, and a .530" for quick reloads. The .537" is a pretty tight fit, but that is what contributes to it's fine accuracy. It shoots better than it looks. I had no prior experience with m/l rifles when I built it using a sharpened screwdriver as an inletting chisel, and a few farm shop tools. I did a lot better on the succeeding ones.

The other one is a .45 cal. X-sticks gun, 13.8# and made for competition only. It has a Douglas XX barrel and has won many, many X-sticks championship matches from here to Friendship. Plain cherry stock.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 01/23/13 08:27 AM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Krakow Kid,

I will be interested in knowing what you find out in re to your question. I am needing another, but a very long one. As you can see the one I showed will not let anything with a barrel over 32" stand erect, and if the LOP is long, some of them won't.

I know the irritation that bumping the guns into each other causes. I just handle them very carefully removing and replacing them. Would be much better to have racks, but I can't do that until I get a better place for the longer ones. Some have up to 42" barrels.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
I will be interested in knowing what you find out in re to your question. I am needing another, but a very long one. As you can see the one I showed will not let anything with a barrel over 32" stand erect, and if the LOP is long, some of them won't.
SRH

Stan,

The Browning Medallion safe will handle barrels up to 40" in racks and the door , which are adjustable to suit individual needs, the tall butt gun shown in the back right is a 32" heavy barreled Sharps 45-70.....with at least another 10" or so to spare.........good quality, de-humidifier and great fire protection rating, holds at least 36 long guns, easy in and out no banging, etc......made here in Utah........

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doug, did you make the door rack or did it come that way?

I have a reasonably good safe. I pulled the racks that came with it out and had a custom made walnut rack made to hold 20 guns, 16 SxS and 4 single barrel or O/U. But I did that before I understood the value of muzzle down storage. So I have redesigned it but before I get started on that, would like to consider a door rack as well.

Also what are you resting the muzzles on?

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
Doug, did you make the door rack or did it come that way?

I have a reasonably good safe. I pulled the racks that came with it out and had a custom made walnut rack made to hold 20 guns, 16 SxS and 4 single barrel or O/U. But I did that before I understood the value of muzzle down storage. So I have redesigned it but before I get started on that, would like to consider a door rack as well.

Also what are you resting the muzzles on?

James,

I took the factory door rack pieces and swapped them. The notched open ended rack which was on the bottom and screwed in above the steel carpeted plate was acting as a heel plate for the butt plates, I moved it to the top ...........the bottom plate is a steel plate and covered with carpet..........the top piece with the circular holes is now at the bottom and each muzzle rests inside one of the cut outs on a double cotton patch, so they cannot slip forward.........here are some pictures below of how it was configured as new and how it is now after the reconfiguration.......

I'm resting all the muzzles on cotton shotgun cleaning patches which I change when needed......

This is what it looks like now on the muzzle end....this is the piece that was the circular barrel holder at the top on the picture above ....

Best,

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow! You have some seriously nice pieces.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Those pictures make me feel much better about my addiction. Just beautiful.

PA24 #310561 01/24/13 01:25 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Doug, you may have hit on the solution safe. I'll definitely consider this as a possible purchase. Many Thanks

Stan - I know the feeling. With muzzleloader barrels anywhere from 42" - 45" it makes for slim pickens in the safe world.

If I find something that would work great (like Doug's Browning looks to be) I guess I could live with displaying some frontstuffers in the library. I will keep you posted.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.