May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (R Reynolds, PALUNC, CJ Dawe, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 797 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,509
Posts545,640
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Estranged son of DARNE sliding breech maker Regis Darne, Francisque apparently died youngish, and the name passed into the hands of Mouthier, Jallas, Soleilhac, and others to end up part of the Verney-Carron stable where it died.

Would be grateful for those who have catalogues from the various "Successeurs" to let me know what's what and, perhaps, to set up some scans. My own "new" 16 gauge F. Darne is marked "E. Jassal & Co. Successeurs". I know that Ted Schefelbein has posted here about this company and seek more detail.

Regards, Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Tim,
Are you sure that all these companies are related?
The "successeurs" itself does not imply it unless the guns or catalogs would be marked something like:
"Xxxxx F. Darne Successeurs" ( Also possibly abbreviated as "Succr")
"Yyyyy Successeurs" by itself just would say the brand Yyyyy belongs to a new owner but the entity name is unchanged or little changed.

Many firms made or retailed Darne like guns and they did not need to have any connection to Darne, after the patent had run out in the early 20th century.

Unfortunately, I don't have any relevant catalogs.

Best regards,
WC-

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tim,
The "Jallas & Cie" era catalog I have is a Cornell Pubs reproduction. My wife has a new scanner-I have an old computer. It hasn't been a good blend of tehnologies, otherwise what I have would be yours.
Not surprised to hear of the trouble with barrels you suffered, since, the old man (Paul) died, and took some pretty valuable skills with him.
A photo of the barrel flats would make grading possible, here.Francisque Darne was indeed Regis Darne's eldest son, and did start the company that built your gun. The designs were tinkerings of Regis Darne's 1894 patent guns to begin with, for the most part. Francisque Darne died in 1917, and the company soldiered on for many years afterward. I have a post 1945 catalog copy, and the guns all appear similar to the pre-war designs.
Much like many French (and other) companies in a tough market, the earlier, the better, but, not always.
I'll dig around and see what I can find.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

The name is still alive - see http://www.fusildarne.com/

Sidelock
Sidelock

Travel with me to the wonderful planet of Yesterday and open your current issue (1971) of Stoeger's and turn to page 112 and 113. There you will find those Darne shot guns in 12,20 and 28 gauges and at reasonable prices starting at $235;A price that would be well over $3,000 in Obama dollars.
Get your order in early.
I have no way of knowing if Stoeger's was actually carrying these guns as stock item.I did hear (again,a long time ago ) that some items advertised in Stoeger's were ordered and the order was then forwarded to the manufacturer for fulfillment.
Don't know if that was actually the case.
Best Regards
Gene

Sidelock
Sidelock

It may be hard to believe, but, Fransisque Darne and Darne are two different companies that produced different designs of sliding breech guns at the same time.

Welcome to France.

The OPs questions refer to the former, the Stoeger company imported the later.

Although a base model R10 is no longer produced, 3 large wouldn't be anywhere near what a new R15 would cost today. Geoffroy Gournet is the current importer.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted,
The British are no better:
"Joseph Lang & Son" and "James Lang" were both competing for the same business and customers around 1889. James was the son of Joseph.
WC-

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey Distel:

I think that $235.00 in 1971 would work out closer to $1333.21 in "Obama" dollars today!

Franchi

Last edited by Franchi; 01/30/13 11:26 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Have a question about the French proofmark on my Francisque Darne 16 gauge. The crown over R marks it as an ordinary reproof with 70mm chambers (2-3/4"). Barrels are 17.0 mm (16 gauge). The five stamps are not proofhouse, but an indication of grade from the gunmaker. Believe they are backward "F's" with capital "D" uniting them.

But, I do not know that the rhombus on the right is that has the letters S over a small capital R. Grateful for assistance.

Regards, Tim

Last edited by Tim Carney; 02/02/13 07:01 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

And not one darn picture of a Darne!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.