April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jolly Bill, JDH, Ted Schefelbein, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 469 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,086
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Llyod,

If I remember correctly, poodles have hair, not fur. Dogs with hair do not shed like dogs with fur and also put out much less allergens. That's why poodles are good for folks with allergies. So, a poodle or a poodle mix might be the answer - as well as looking to see if there are other breeds with hair instead of fur. Poodles were originally bred and used as water retrievers, so while they may not be commonly used as hunting dogs today, their genes do provide the oportunity to find a good hunting poodle.

Sincerely,
Patrick
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd,

The Irish Water Spaniel is also listed as a good allergy hunting dog, and possibly the Portuguese Water Dog. Does anyone have any experience with these breeds?

Sincerely,
Patrick
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a GWP who was an outstanding Pheasant dog. For whatever reason, I just could never get her to swim. She now resides with my son and his family where she is loved and fussed over by my Grand-daughters.

Because I am now primarily a duck hunter, I wanted a breed that would take to water like a duck, retrieve, and flush the occassional upland bird. Because I wanted a smaller breed, I settled on an American Water Spaniel. He is going on 3 now and we have had a blast together. Loves to hunt. Loves to train. He has a nice, tight coat which causes no allergy problems for me or my wife. Whenever burrs get stuck on his ears, I spray a little PAM on the comb and out they come. He weighs about 40 pounds and has handled everything from quail to geese. I have also rediscovered retriever hunt tests, which is an added bonus of fun.

Tough to find, as they are somewhat of a rare breed, but the good news is almost all that own them are hunters so they have not been split into "field" and "show" types, yet.

Anyway, something to consider. Good luck. I like them all.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: buzz
I've been allergy tested and am mildly allergic to cats and dogs. Dogs stuff my nose up pretty good,I do have a toy poodle named Keke....a beautiful dog and supposedly hypoallergenic. A show dog. She is in the house and still makes me sneeze a little.

If you are allergic to the poodle, it is a different allergy than the other dogs-cats. Dogs and cats fur produced dander. Almost all people allergic to dogs/cats are allergic to the dander. Poodles do not have fur. They have hair which grows much like human hair and does not shed and thus, do not have dander.

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks guys! I'll look into the Water Spanials (both Irish and American). In a perfect world, I'd prefer a pointer to hunt with, but it seems that the flushing dogs make for easier house pets. And, as a practical matter, any dog I end up with will spend far-more time at home than he or she will in the field.

Jakearoo- There is definitely a difference between hair and fur, at least for me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Lloyd3
Thanks guys! ... And, as a practical matter, any dog I end up with will spend far-more time at home than he or she will in the field. ...

All of them do. I'd like to hear what you end up with. Pix too, of course.

Last edited by Chuck H; 02/13/13 02:57 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A Vizsla is to gundogs the same as what bagpipes are to music.
A wailing inconvenience.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: salopian
A Vizsla is to gundogs the same as what bagpipes are to music.
A wailing inconvenience.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd3:

Be very wary with the Irish Water Spaniel. Great breed, super, super smart. Loves to please. Problem is, almost no one hunts with them anymore. The IWS was my first choice. I love the history behind the breed. They are the clown prince of the marsh, and I thought it would be fun to have and train one.

Believe it or not, there was a time in this country when they were number one. But, the easy care and early trainability of the Lab and other breeds pushed them off the map.

Today, the breed has pretty much been taken over by the show and fluff crowd. Field stock is out there, but you have to look really hard and examine the pedigree carefully. Don't be fooled by the Junior Hunter title and "my dogs hunt." Look for Master Hunters on both sides. Do the breeders actually duck hunt, or just go to hunt tests? Big difference. I have never seen an IWS at a NAHRA or HRC event. I even searched in the UK, with most breeders telling me that they import dogs from the US.

This is why I went with the American Water Spaniel. Almost every breeder of the AWS is a duck, upland hunter or both.

Good luck.

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Oldmainewoodsman: Thank you for that insight. I'm at the point where I'm lining up different types of dogs to "visit" with to see how I respond. I was at a Vintager's dinner last night and got a bit more local information to work with, so now it's down to a process of elimination.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.