March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (jake van dyke, HalfaDouble, dogon, Ian Forrester, Mills, 1 invisible), 551 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have the above gun with ammunition 22 stamped on the barrel.
The proof marks are22 L which I presume means its chambered for the 22 long.
A 22LR round will chamber but there is a little resistance .
I gather the only difference between the two rounds are projectile weight,would it not be possible/advisable to run a 22LR reamer into the chamber to use regular 22LR ammo?
Would the rate of twist be different between the two?
As an aside it has engraved on the receiver made expressly for A Hajee Dossul and sons Karachi
Anyone shed any light on who these guys were?

Cheers,

GDU

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Greg,
There is a considerable difference between the twist rates of .22 Short and Long cartridges and that of the .22LR. Many a person has rechambered one of these old rifles and found to their regret that they are hopelessly innaccurate. It's better to re-barrel to .22LR if you with to use this round. .22 LR has a twist rate of 1 turn in 16". I don't have figures for the .22Long to hand but I do know they differ quite a lot. If the bore is 'shot out' then it could be relined to .22 LR, a more economical proposition.

As for A.Hajee Dossul and Sons, Karachi, they were almost certainly an emporium catering to the British colonial civil servants and military officers, providing all the comforts of home, (at a price of course). If you Google the company name you will find several references to it. It seems to be still extant.
A few shillings for engraving is cheap advertising and it's still done today. There's nothing like a bit of advertising when your in business.

Harry.

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would determine its rate of twist, or even simply test fire it, before making plans to re-chamber or re-line. Is a LR bullet fully engraved by the rifling upon examination after extracting it unfired from the chamber?

I had a Low Wall Winder Musket originally in .22 short that in their infinite wisdom R.F.Sedgley altered to .22WCF, retaining the original sloooow twist bore. Talk about a gun that was doomed not to shoot.

Happy birthday, Harry!

Last edited by Gary D.; 02/28/13 10:28 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A google search turns A Hajee Dossul and sons up as the publishers of a variety of post cards from Karachi around 1910... http://cartoline.delcampe.net/page/item/...language,I.html

Sidelock
Sidelock

The chambers of .22 rimfire rifles made in the early days, until at least 1920, were not really "chambers" as we think of them. They were just an unrifled part of the barrel and may have even had a slight taper. I have 3 Winders and a #3 Ballard in .22 Short, one Winder since lined to Long Rifle. All would readily accept ordinary .22 Long Rifle cartridges. The LR cartridges could be fired safely, but at 50 yards accuracy was a sometimes thing. They would hit somewhere in the tiny targets at gallery ranges (50 or 75 feet). It is not necessary to "rechamber" those old rifles and doing so will only harm them.

With the onset of prone and position match shooting circa 1900, tighter chambers were designed. Today there must be a hundred or more individual chamber designs. The various chambers designed for target rifles were made small and it takes some degree of effort to chamber a Long Rifle cartridge in some of them.

GDU's Martini could be one intended for the 22 Long cartridge, or it could be one with a tight target chamber intended for the Long Rifle. In any event, the easiest way to find out is to try it with some sort of standard velocity, lead bullet Long Rifle ammunition shot from rest at a paper target at 50 or 100 yards/meters.

If it proves to be inaccurate with LRs, try it with .22 Longs. I have had reasonable results at gallery targets with some ".22 CB Long Match" cartridges made in OZ and marketed in the US under the Winchester brand. Those have 29-grain bullets intended for Shorts loaded into Long cases. I suspect that the powder charge is that for the Short. I do not think they are just propelled by the primer.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Harry Eales
Hello Greg,
There is a considerable difference between the twist rates of .22 Short and Long cartridges and that of the .22LR. Many a person has rechambered one of these old rifles and found to their regret that they are hopelessly innaccurate. It's better to re-barrel to .22LR if you with to use this round. .22 LR has a twist rate of 1 turn in 16". I don't have figures for the .22Long to hand but I do know they differ quite a lot. If the bore is 'shot out' then it could be relined to .22 LR, a more economical proposition.

As for A.Hajee Dossul and Sons, Karachi, they were almost certainly an emporium catering to the British colonial civil servants and military officers, providing all the comforts of home, (at a price of course). If you Google the company name you will find several references to it. It seems to be still extant.
A few shillings for engraving is cheap advertising and it's still done today. There's nothing like a bit of advertising when your in business.

Harry.

Harry....
HAPPY BIRTHDAY OL' CHAP FROM ANOTHER OL' CHAP.
P.S. I used to live in Shropshire years ago, when I was a "YOUNG CHAP"

Best Wishes and Cheers

Jerry

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jerry,
Thank you kindly for your good wishes, I'm a Northumbrian born and bred with an ancestry going back to the 7th Century, when my ancestors were illegal immigrants from what as then Saxony. Technically I'm a descendant of illegal immigrants. lol.

Harry

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gary 'D',

Thankee for your best wishes, I'd like to think I'm only a young fellow but the body and the brain is letting me down somewhat. lol.

Harry

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Model 90 Winchester in 22 Long. It shoots LR ammo very well.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for your reply's.
I will check the twist and test fire it as well.
It does engrave the rifling when chambered,is this going to cause pressure issues?
If it does not shoot well with LR rounds I will see if I can get some longs for it.
There are 22LR rounds which shoot lighrt ptojectiles as well .
I have attached a couple of photos,its in well used but sound order and the bore is excellent.
It still retains its original tangent rear sight and flipover post/bead front sight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.