April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Birdog), 1,189 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,299
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#315691 03/01/13 08:33 AM
jeweler Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I just got a black powder W Moore that I would like to bring out some of the twist.I have rubbed and cleaned with alcohol and tried carb cleaner and have gotten some of the film off but they still need a little more. OOO Steel wool? I put some Watco Danish oil which really makes them shine you just can't see enough twist...No I am not getting them refinnished....at least not for now.

monty
1 member likes this: LetFly
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not totally sure but I seem to remember reading about using chalk, I think it was on the LC Smith site or from Dr Drew House. Hopefully he will chime in.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some suggestions here, courtesy of Joe Woods, Brad Bachelder, Bro. Roy and others
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EGInyr3CsRadXkmTYRak4TWK-pCB3cN5Wgg51u_SnEM/edit?pli=1

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are more methods of treating and producing a finish on gun barrels than there seems to be stars in the sky. Though there was a man who sort to catalogue it all and in doing so produced a very fine book to try and make some sense out of it for us mortals, his name is R.H. Angier and his fine book is “Firearm Bluing And Browning” does not cost a great deal it is in print and it will help you understand why the original process of bluing was called browning amongst other things. If you have an interest or just want to know how firearm colour finishes where and are done or want to try it yourself this is the book for you.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've accomplished what you want by using 0000 steel wool and WD-40. But you will need to remove the Watco Danish Oil you have applied first. 000 steel wool is too coarse and may scratch and remove too much oxidation from both the iron and steel in the Damascus. Go slowly and gently, cleaning and checking your progress often. Once you've gone too far, you can't go back without refinishing.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

jeweler Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Damascus
I want to improve the finnish. I have gone too far with my buddy's gun but thank god he is not intrested in double gun blog or he would chew my you know what out for messing his gun up. It came put a little shiney with the flitz or Hagerty which is what I have.I think it still looks better than the muddy look it had. The chalk did not doo much or enough.I can't say it didn't help some.I think the Haggerty pollish which is simular to the Flitz takes out too much oxidation.To sum it up test on your buddies gun before you do your own.
I will order Firearm and bluing next. I have gotten ten confirmations from Amazon today.All about Damascus

monty
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Jeweler.

I am just old enough to have worked and talked to men who earned a living working in the Birmingham gun industry and some of them could remember working in the 1920s browning barrels and of course my ears pricked up right away. The sum of what information I could write down besides a few ancient recipes for browning solutions which I have never tried was this, Browning barrels according to them was more an art form “all muck and magic” and not just an industrial process like bluing, in fact bluing was a far easier. This is my personal view on the subject of the definition change on Damascus barrels,is some older methods increased the definition between Iron and Steel by using Tannic Acid or Gallic acid on the barrels first then the normal rust browning solution. Now I do have a gun that was finished in this way some forty years ago and at first it was stunning but now it is just a rather flat brown colour with far less definition caused I am sure by the passage of time. And I feel sure that cleaning the barrels will do very little to improve matters it is all in how the finish was first formed.

Damascus

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
jeweler Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

After looking at the barrels this morning sober they look a lot better than they did.The chalk was helping but it seemed super slow. It might have been the chalk ,I could only find some dustless chalk at Office Depot.When I switched to the Hagerty all metal polish it did the trick.They are still not perfect but they do not look like two dark brown poles.When I get the book I'll have to look up how to use the acids and maybe experiment on some of my wall hangers.I really want to bring out some of the white and black contrast I'm not too big on the brown.
thanks

monty
Sidelock
Sidelock

Try coating the barrels with Simonize or another good quality hard wax. I've found this to be a good way to bring the damascus pattern back.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.