April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Tyler, Jimmy W, Wild Skies, 2 invisible), 1,073 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,136
Members14,409
Most Online1,271
55 minutes ago
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Condor Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This morning at my gun club a guy showed me an old gun he said was in his basement...and I am wondering if anyone might know about this double...I looked into several books I have including the 3 volumes I have on the British Shotgun by Crudgington and Baker including the Greener book on the shotgun as well as Wieland and McIntosh...nowhere do I find a " George Bury".... I am including some photos I took...it appears to be Birmingham proofs...and someone in the past painted the metal black....the picture I did not take was the rib, which had " George, or Geo, Bury, London".. I even checked the Greener Story book because the engraving of the dog , although hard for you to see, looks very much like a dog engraving on some Greener guns...and reactions would be appreciated sine he wants to know if it is worth restoring....the wood looks pretty good and although the checking is severely worn one can see it was hand done...interestingly the wood stock has some lead shot embedded in it....I will post the pictures ASAP.

The proof marks are on the barrels and not in the usual place.

Last edited by Condor; 03/06/13 05:02 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I could only find one Bury on Internet Gun Club and in Brown Vols I & II. John, in Birmingham in the 1830s, so too early for your gun.

Perhaps Geo Bury was an ironmonger and bought in guns from the trade to mark up in his own name.

Tim

Condor Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Tim...that is what I am thinking right now...google search showed a George Bury who , from a British location or city I do not remember right now was involved in the inventions of some weaving equipment...I will try to check the serial number with some makers...but it is a long shot.

Last edited by Condor; 03/06/13 06:02 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jules Bury was a very successful Liege, Belgium, maker. He was one of the four makers credited with setting "best work" standards for the Belgian trade and elevating them to higher respectability. I have noidea if there could be a family connection.

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Condor Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I just check that Cabelas listing...to bad no pictures....the gun I saw was in tough shape,....rusted bores and the barrell hinge pin or hook was broken off.......that is helpful since it may eliminate the possibility that it was engraved by an owner....it was 2 1/2 chambered...I told him that he should save it as a wall hanger....I think they are not Damascus barrels...but hard to tell. Thanks again.

Ps...just scrolled down and saw that information about the manufacture of these guns....will keep searching Bury now.

Last edited by Condor; 03/06/13 06:27 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Condor,
The gun in question was made in Birmingham,circa 1890; as indicated by the proof marks.[It is not of Belgian manufacture].Many Birmingham guns made for the trade, had the word "London" engraved on the rib,this was simply a "sales ploy" and not an indication as to location of the retailer.As suggested by others G Bury was almost certainley an Ironmonger selling guns, made in Birmingham,engraved with his name.
Many examples of Guns made for Ironmogers have been recorded on this forum.A recent post was a gun engraved with the retailers name and also the name of the town in which their business was located.From the towns historical business directories it was confirmed that the retailer was indeed an Ironmonger[Hardware store].

Last edited by Roy Hebbes; 03/07/13 05:45 PM.

Roy Hebbes
Condor Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thak you Roy ,and the other responses,...I was even checking to see if it was a sporting goods store and came up short...and looked at Cornell's publication of British Gun smiths and came up short there.....that's the answer ..thank you again. I will do a search using "ironmonger"...and learn more..

Last edited by Condor; 03/07/13 05:59 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.