March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (LRF, bsteele, David Williamson, Ted Schefelbein), 826 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Not that one (which looks like a keeper!) but very similar. This one has game scene engraving and full coverage fine scroll engraving. Half hand grip too.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a 30E with a Miller and the safety also is the barrel selector, forward for the right first and back for the left barrel first so a two trigger conversion would also have to replace the safety. If it has birds on it it is likely a 30E. Someone has the import records for these but can't remember right of hand who, they may post and will look up the gun for you if you have the serial # .

Last edited by dblfever; 03/08/13 09:33 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

dblfever

Are you positive that you have a Miller trigger on the 30E? All the Miller selective triggers I have seen had the bbl selector on the trigger plate in front of the trigger blade.

I'm always interested in learning something new & if Miller made selective triggers with the selector via the safety I would be interested in approximately what time frame this was.

cgs Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi All,

Elmer Miller patented a trigger body mounted selector in 1939. It did not have a spring detent to hold position and I don't think it was very successful. I don't believe he produced many triggers on this patent and most selective Miller triggers from inception until 1962 selected off the safety. In 1962, Miller patented the now familiar trigger body mounted selector. This switch had a spring detent which allowed it to positively hold position and works wonderfully. This is the style of selector that we produce today. Miller wanted to move away from the safety based selector because it is a much weaker system mechanically, depending on a long, thin music wire spring connecting the safety to the cam. The 1962 patent selector is a much improved system in that it is much more robust, positive and is very fast to select in the field once you get used to it.

Best, Dan

Last edited by cgs; 03/09/13 12:02 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dan,

Thank you for the informaion on Miller triggers. I've probably only seen a dozen or less Miller selective triggers & all were of the 1962 patent selector type which you decribed.

As you state it's a very good design that works well.

I was unaware of the safety actuated selector type.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It clearly is stamped MILLER on both sides of the trigger. The safety has a gold S in the middle that needs to be just above the safety slide to be in safe position and the selector is front and back as described in my other post. My gun dates to 1921 I believe. Would post pics but don't know how to get them on here.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll add this for Doverham's benefit since he is turned off by the Miller trigger on the Francotte he is asking about.

As I stated in a prior post I now prefer double triggers but in cold weather when I need to wear insulated gloves I have difficulty getting my finger between the front & rear trigger on most guns & a lot of single trigger designs won't reliably reset for the second shot for me when I'm wearing gloves.

The Miller trigger resets like none other that I'm aware of & although I've never shot one while wearing gloves I would bet it will reset w/o any problem. Dan May might have a comment on this.

Having a gun set up for cold weather hunting wouldn't be a bad idea.

cgs Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Miller trigger resets via the power of the sear springs. The only requirement is that the trigger be released after firing for reset. We've never had a complaint about reset wearing gloves. As long as the gloves aren't so thick that they fill up the trigger guard and don't allow the trigger to move forward, you should have no problems.

Best, Dan

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Interesting how these threads develop - there is some good information on Miller STs being provided. I have nothing against Millers, just a very strong preference for DTs. The gun in question was made in 1925 and the pics indicate the same barrel selector that dblfever describes - which sounds like an easy selector to get used to.

Thanks all for the input.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dan,

Thanks again for the Miller trigger info. I never had the opportunity to see one dissasembled. Now I understand why they require removal of the intercepting sears on sidelocks.

The few that I have shot had an extremely positive reset which I liked.

I'm not really wild about the removal of the intercepting sears on a field gun but it wouldn't bother me on a target or pigeon gun & of course most boxlocks don't have or need intercepting sears anyway.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.