May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (claydog, Philbert, buckstix, KDGJ), 381 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,520
Posts545,759
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well I finally took the plunge and got a new laptop to replace my old coffee grinder laptop. I wanted mobility with a very small convenient size and plenty of power. I also wanted a mobile broadband connection after studying it for a year now.

I decided on a Toshiba 12" with a Duo Core 2ghz processor and 2 gig of RAM, 160 Gig hardrive. http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/pdet.to?seg=HHO&poid=359960

I also went with Verizon Broadband service which I'm using this morning.

What all this means is I now have a very portable laptop (as opposed to my old heavy, bulky one) that I can access the internet in most any populated area while in my car, or hotel room or most anywhere. Now retrieving a map or looking up phone numbers, locating businesses (read that gunstores in unfamiliar cities), email, shopping, and even accessing this bbs, are all very convenient. I'm just starting to use it this morning.

Congratulations on your new machine! It's really nice to have when you travel. I used the Verizon connection thru my cellphone last summer with a laptop, and it was great to be able to connect to the web anytime. Sounds like you'd be lost without computer access? Me too! Good luck with your new toy. Joe

"The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference, they deserve a place of honor with all that is good". - George Washington
775 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck, I have used the same card in my laptop for the last year or so. Here on the edge of Chicago's sprawl I get up to 1.3MBPS.....nearly T1 data speeds. I gave up the home data connection when I got it.....along with the 500 channels of nothing!

Is nice on the hour long train ride to and fro the job. Hope you enjoy it.

Best,
Mark

Ms. Raven
Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yeah, I'm thinking I have that 'E'ddiction thing I heard about on the radio yesterday.

So far, at my house, the data rate seems slower than my WiFi (wireless house network, for you guys that aren't into all this). But, I haven't tried it anywhere else. I'll find out more about data rate later, I'm sure.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My wife's laptop runs on a Linksys wireless router at home and I have been able to connect up at hotels that have wireless connectins advertised. How is what you bought different?

Where do you get your signal from when you are on the road?

So many guns, so little time!
Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Milt,
I bought, essentially, a cellular phone card that can connect anywhere they provide cellular internet service in the country. It's not everywhere a cellphone can connect, nearly, and pretty prevalent and in all major population areas. In the major population areas, it has "broadband" service at the highest data rate, and then in less populated areas it drops down to a lower data rate similar to dial-up speeds.

Checkout their coverage map at this link. http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store...1&catId=409

BTW, my company has a corporate plan with Verizon that gets this service for $49 instead of the $79 shown. That discount just came down from $59 which was part of my decision.

Last edited by Chuck H; 02/25/07 02:19 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

builder,
Oh Oh I know, I know! *waves hand in the air wildly*
It's a card that plugs into your PC that uses the cell-phone network to connect your PC to the internet. It creates a pair of bonded cell phone links to provide the functional equivalent of a 128K connection. Packet compression helps make the link more efficent. I worked on the quality of service design to support this feature for one of the major wireless carriers, I can't mention their name but the initials are Verizon Wireless.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very subtle, Yeti. I think I saw you behind all those guys in the commercial. Thanks. When this weather breaks, we need to go to Hudson Valley to shoot a few orange birds. I promise not to have a gun in my hands when I wave wildly in the air.

Chuck,
When I retire, I need one of those for an RV to travel across the country and not miss any gun stores! Eight bucks a month works for me. What a convenience!

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

One of my companies builds cell phone sites. I think you should all get one of these cellular broadband services. It is good for business and I need more guns. Thanks Chuck. Use it often.

Bill G.

Sidelock
Sidelock

OK. I am kind of ignorant about this stuff so clue me in if you will, guys. If you have a laptop in your car or camper, where do you get the power to run them? Do they run off of the cigarette lighter or are they battery powered? And do they work just like a cell phone? If you get to a motel, can you plug them into a phone outlet? I always kind of wanted one but I never knew how they operated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.