March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,244 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
xausa Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

If you have a strong stomach, check this out: http://www.ebay.com/csc/tagmil/m.html?LH_Complete=1&_ipg=50&_since=15&_sop=13&_rdc=1

This is the result of an auction conducted on March 17, in which the seller separately sold the 48 rear sight, the star gauged barrel, the stock, the bolt, the trigger, the trigger guard and floorplate, the follower and follower spring, and the magazine cut-off from a Springfield sporter, retaining the receiver, for whatever reason. With Springfield sporters bringing over $2000 these days, he only cheated himself.

Sidelock
Sidelock

He explained in one of the listings that the receiver was drilled and tapped, and available for sale. I have not seen it on GB as of yet.

Sidelock
Sidelock

He got pretty good prices for some of the parts. Parting it out probably only cost him a couple of hundred. I wish I had seen the Lyman 48 off the NRA Sporter. They usually sell for about double what he got.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like parts are escalating! Milled trigger guards $160. 03A3 Barrels $315!!! I may have to liquidate smile! Sure would have liked to have that barrel and stock for my 1927 Sporter action.

Last edited by Ken Nelson; 03/22/13 09:05 AM.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
xausa Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The stock had been further "sporterized" with a checkering job, which robs it of any shred of authenticity, I'm afraid.

I have a Springfield sporter kicking around which has had everything done to it: barrel shortened, action fitted with a side mount (since removed), now fitted with a Lyman Alaskan in a Stith mount, using the holes for the Lyman 48 (and adding two more to the receiver), stock checkered. All in all, a sad spectacle.

I considered fitting it with a G&H side mount, fitting the shortened barrel with a Redfield ramp and replacing the Lyman 48, but I already have an intact sporter, so "Why?" I'll leave it to someone else to complete that resurrection process.

Sidelock
Sidelock

xausa,

I feel your pain. I bought a sporter out of a pawn shop.
thumb hole stock, barrel shortened 1/2",Lyman 48 intact, fortunately no additional holes drilled. I put it in a M2 Stock that had been modified for a Mauser floor plate...(WTH?) I repaired the stock for a 03 floor plate and went out a cleaned the standard military bench rest target with it. All's well that ends well. Most of my stuff is just put togethers using good parts that someone has monkeyed with. I don't try to pass them off as anything but what they are...shooters.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have one in a Mannlicher stock with the receiver drilled for a Weaver side mount. It works well and shoots well. What more could you ask I guess. I have the skeleton of another at the end of my sofa.I was recently at a show where an individual had about a dozen Springfield and Mauser sporters from the '50's on his table. He said his dad had accumulated them over the years. Nice old guns there I remember from my youth. They were al priced $200-250 and he wasn't moving them. Black guns only these days. If it ain't TACTICAL it don't sell.

Anything Worth Doing is Worth Overdoing
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know, perhaps parting out is the better way to go, when it's been drilled for scope mounts. May restore more than one rifle that way.

I have owned this Arsenal sporter 25 odd years, used to shoot HP Silhouette with it. Came to me drilled for a Redfield the Star guage barrel was turned down sometime years ago and shot out. Tried to either sell it or restore it several times never any buyers and cost of restoration made no sense, it's never going to see another Star guage and no good way to hide the action holes. Stock has been scraped too. Action bolt and stock numbers all match and it's in the Springfield book.

As it worked out replaced the barrel with Arsenal 1935 added a correct Lyman 48, It's a great shooter. Not worth a whole lot but I like it. Switch it off between that T 10 for stand deer hunting and a K 2.5 & the Lyman for club cast bullet matches

Boats

Last edited by Boats; 03/23/13 08:23 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.