March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (FlyChamps, Argo44, SKB, Little Creek, 2 invisible), 790 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,010
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

You know, as we American's love to rip on the aristocratic, Tory loving, "pompous Brits", I'd like to remind you that they have few of the safety problems we do in the States.

So you may take my statements to be as arrogant and aristocratic as those Brits that seem to better regulate their shoots than we do.

I thought if only I'd join an American club that was built like a prestigious country club, some of those British sensibilities towards safety and etiquette would prevail. After spending what I consider a kings ransom, and having shot with several affluent shooters known in the US business world, I have to report no such luck.

In 40+ hunts and shoots this year, I've had guns aimed at my head too many times to count, misfires twice, hunts with idiots carrying guns with safeties off numerous times, etc.

Steroeotypical person that will get you shot: 50 year old avid hunter. Just old enough to not have been required to take hunter safety by law in any state. They also abide my previous MO. Curiously, they tend to be the most affluent of people with the least pleasing attire. It all seems to tie together as a pervasive stereotype.

Last edited by Rookhawk; 04/14/13 04:50 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think familiarity breeds contempt,or at least the perception of such.I have seen poor muzzle control among elite combat troops in dangerous situations where an unintended discharge would likely have seriously impacted the outcome whether anyone was hit or not.One of my best friends was killed in Vietnam by such a discharge. The guy behind him had his muzzle pointed at Bob's back and when he stumbled he pulled the trigger and sent a bullet into Bob's rear end. Bob died on the operating table. I have never been polite when correcting an errant muzzle and make no apologizes for it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rookhawk

A properly trained gentleman can shoot anything safely, however stereotypes are telling 95% of the time.

A properly trained 'Person' can shoot anything safely.

Stereotypes are just that,,stereotypes.

Everyone has favorites when it comes to firearms,,everyone has friends they like to shoot with,,or not.
To judge simply by their clothing and the firearm they choose as to wether someone is a skilled shot, a safe gun handler and an all around a$$hole or not is quite a system.

Lot's of Vets would have a problem with the formula.

Cowboy Shooters use SxS's all the time.
They're about the safest group of range shooters around.
Is their attire OK..?

To the OP,,one of the skeet squad should have stepped in and taken charge when the older gent was having a problem.
Waving a loaded shotgun willy-nilly around the skeet grounds no matter the reason & no matter the shooter is not a time for anyone within reach to be silent about it.

We all need to be reminded at some point. A little wake up call perhaps that we noticed ourselves and no one else did,,yet. Or something that is loudly brought to our attention by the squad.
Hurt feelings are one thing,,but an ounce & 1/8 into someone's body hurts a lot more.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Cowboy Shooters use SxS's all the time.
They're about the safest group of range shooters around.
Is their attire OK..?"

I was going to say something about cowboy action shoots. I played that game for a while, and they are very safely run. They had a 170 degree rule about guns pointed downrange, and anyone breaking the plane was warned about it immediately.
CHAZ

Boxlock
Boxlock

As a retired master sgt I have run many ranges as either a range officer or range safety officer. I have run ranges at Boy Scout camp as a shooting sports director. I have coached junior shooters for many years. I shoot frequently on my club's range. Youth, if properly trained usually are very safe. As we get older we tend to know it all and become sloppy.
When I train youth I tell them that there is one range command that they must give. If they see an unsafe act they are to call cease fire. Anyone who sees an unsafe act has the obligation to call a cease fire and get the situation rectified. If anyone on a range points a firearm at me I will assume that it is loaded and will call a cease fire! I have had people upset with me, but it is better to have them upset than to be dead.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.