April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (battle, SKB, Stanton Hillis, Der Ami, 2 invisible), 422 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,470
Posts545,148
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Shane, its funny but I bought an A J Aubrey with 32" steel barrels last summer. My son found it in a local auction out in Bozeman, MT. Mine was just a little off face also, and the rear trigger is a bear to pull. I shot ducks with it last Fall but I shimmed the hook with a layer of Scotch Tape which tightened it up enough to lose the rattle. Those long barrels just keep swinging when I shoot at a passing duck so I shoot it surprisingly well.

If yours rattles when you shake it, it is off face and will get worse unless you do something to tighten it back up. Tape's cheaper than gun-smithing, but certainly not a permanent fix. I'm undecided whether to spend the money fixing the trigger pull and rejointing, but I do like the gun. Low pressure 6s will most certainly take down a turkey unless you insist on 40+ yard shots...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

A gun is either on the face, or it's not. If you are going to shoot it, please fix it first. It will get worse with every shot from now on (even with temporary "fixes"), and a proper repair will get more expensive.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Take it down and put a piece of that paper in the hook, and put the barrels back on. If that tightens it up and the fore end goes back on, shoot it and see if you like it. As with the tape this isn't a permanent fix but it will let you know if you want to have it fixed correctly. Which fore end attachment does your have? If the barrels are good and you like the dynamics of it get it rejointed. MKII

Sidelock
Sidelock

Shane, just take it over to Champlin. JJ Perodeau is the gunsmith there and most likely will give you an on the spot opinion. Good folks!

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That's what I like to hear Joe. I need to visit with them anyway about an article that one of the magazines I work for wants to do. I teach tomorrow night in Stillwater, so maybe I can get out of here early and swing by to see them.

Geo, thanks for the advice. I wonder... what loads were you shooting at ducks that were non-toxic and low pressure? I'm not a big duck hunter, but I might take it out for that just to harass my auto-loading black plastic shooting buddies. I don't ever insist on 40-yard shots for anything and certainly not for turkey. Maybe that's what I'll do.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey Mark, it's got the spring attached forearm. No lever. And the Model 34 engraving. The paper did indeed tighten it up as tight as can be. That helps anyhow. I'll order in a couple boxes of shells from PolyWad and take it to the club to help me decide.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Has anyone tried this method:

MidwayUSA Gunsmithing Tips

Looks like a perfect repair for the hobby enthusiast.

Craig

Ask not for whom the dog barks, it barks for thee...
NRA Life Member
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: CraigF
Has anyone tried this method:

MidwayUSA Gunsmithing Tips

Looks like a perfect repair for the hobby enthusiast.

Craig

A few years back, there was an article in The Double Gun Journal about a well used Nitro Special, that was used primarily as a waterfowl gun, with heavy loads, after it's owner used a sheet of .004 brass to tighten the gun up-he didn't affix the brass permanently, he was just careful when cleaning or dismantling the gun. It was left, loose, on the hook. I seem to remember the gun was used, hard, for several decades in that form. I think he sold the gun to someone who used it the same way, using the same shim.
I'm wondering if the guy in the video used too heavy a piece of shim, as he had to file on the breech end of the barrels to get the gun to close? Wouldn't it make more sense to smoke the shim itself, and work it down that way? Also, why the desire to make the shim permanent?
I'm all for inexpensive fixes for inexpensive guns, and maybe there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: shanebevel
Geo, thanks for the advice. I wonder... what loads were you shooting at ducks that were non-toxic and low pressure? I'm not a big duck hunter, but I might take it out for that just to harass my auto-loading black plastic shooting buddies.

I used Bismuth factory loads in the Aubrey last Fall. I don't think they are particularly low pressure. Remember my barrels are steel and extremely stout and my wood is all good. Personally I do not shoot anything but low pressure or black powder in my damascus guns. However most of them are 'bird guns' and don't have the massive barrels the 'fowlers' have. Make your own decision about your gun or if you'd rather, get advice from someone knowledgeable who can personnaly inspect your barrels...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Aluminum beer can shims are the only way to go, you get a nice cold beer to drink obtaining the aluminum for the shim. The nice thing about aluminum is that it's soft enough that with a little encouragement the first few times you open and shut the gun it'll self-fit.
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.