April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, gasgunner, David Williamson, KDGJ), 409 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,470
Posts545,148
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think brass would do the same thing. I prefer my beer out of bottles, anyway.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted By: CraigF
Has anyone tried this method:

MidwayUSA Gunsmithing Tips

Looks like a perfect repair for the hobby enthusiast.

Craig

A few years back, there was an article in The Double Gun Journal about a well used Nitro Special, that was used primarily as a waterfowl gun, with heavy loads, after it's owner used a sheet of .004 brass to tighten the gun up-he didn't affix the brass permanently, he was just careful when cleaning or dismantling the gun. It was left, loose, on the hook. I seem to remember the gun was used, hard, for several decades in that form. I think he sold the gun to someone who used it the same way, using the same shim.
I'm wondering if the guy in the video used too heavy a piece of shim, as he had to file on the breech end of the barrels to get the gun to close? Wouldn't it make more sense to smoke the shim itself, and work it down that way? Also, why the desire to make the shim permanent?
I'm all for inexpensive fixes for inexpensive guns, and maybe there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Best,
Ted

If I recall correctly, the guy used old fashioned wheel bearing grease to hold it in place and he did use it for decades with new brass every so often.

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just buy a cheap blade type feeler gage set from your local auto parts or hardware store and you will have a lifetime supply of shim material in various thicknesses. As I remember Permatex makes some adhesives that work pretty good for a temporary fix or you can solder the shim in place if you want something more pertinent.

Last edited by TwiceBarrel; 04/14/13 08:49 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Feeler gage set are ground and hardened-they will tend to split when heated or used to conform to a hook. Don't ask me how I know this.
Shim stock is soft, and is just that-for shimming.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with Ted. I bought this kit many years ago from Brownell's. Cuts with a common pair of scissors.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-...ck-prod589.aspx

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I love the way this conversation turned! ha! It's a great thing the internet isn't it? Opinions and solutions from expensive to free... just choose the one you like best. wink

I've decided to keep the gun regardless and it will go to Champlain today to have the once over. Unless I am missing something, it should be fine. Now just to try and figure out what to shoot with it!

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I'll post some photos eventually.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The gun owners perennial problem of putting a guns action back on the face or just removing that small amount of movement between the breach face and the barrels. Now I have found that there is really only one cat but a thousand ways of skinning it, some ways can cost a considerable amount of money and others are virtually free. Below are two photographs of a barrel from a gun in my “Keep me Collection” the gun is a sxs 12 bore black powder with Damascus barrels built by a good maker in about 1870 and not exposed to high barrel pressures being black powder only.
Now if you look closely at the area next to the barrel hook there is a curved punch mark I have put some chalk in one of them to make it easier to be seen. Now these punch marks are extremely deep because the lump material is a rather soft Iron. Now the act of swaging each side of the hook with a curved punch has in consequence extended the metal between the barrel hook and the hinge pin bringing the barrels back on face. Total cost of repair ZERO!!!!!
As I have never subjected the gun to a great deal of use I have not seen fit to do any thing about this hundred plus a year old adjustment, is it butchery or a mistaken example of a cheap gun cheap repair. Well you know the saying if it aint broke don’t fix it, because for all intents and purposes it is tight on the face and shoots exceedingly well. And finally this is not a recommendation how to make good a gun that is off the face it is just another way of skinning that cat.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have and old Crescent that's a tad loose. A new dollar bill will just fit between the barrels and breech. Internet search came up with a thickness of .0043" for US currency, a soda can is .0038", made a shim from a Coke can last evening... just a smidge loose. My place of employment has a machine shop, an email to the shop foreman has a small .005 shim stock in the interoffice mail as I type this.
Craig

Ask not for whom the dog barks, it barks for thee...
NRA Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interoffice mail delivered a piece of .005 shim stock just in time to take home, probably 3" x 6". Cut a strip 3/8" wide, used a 3/8" drill bit to bend and had the gun shimmed in about 3 minutes.
Used a dab of grease to stick it to the hinge pin, tightened it up very nicely.
Anyone need a small strip of .005 shim I'll gladly share send me a PM.
CraigF

Ask not for whom the dog barks, it barks for thee...
NRA Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Is the shim brass? You should have snapped a few photos for the cognoscenti to get their panties all knotted up over.
I find it interesting that folks will pay for a repair job on a low level, beater, American machine made gun that is worth 4-5 times what the gun is.
Good work on the Cresent. Enjoy.

Best,
Ted

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.