March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Dave K, buckstix, Der Ami, KDGJ, Karl Graebner, 1 invisible), 361 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,008
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Price is not always the best guide , prices asked by some dealers are to be blunt laughable .Ask yourself this , do you want a gun that just looks good or do you want a gun that will do good service over the net 30 years ? I see many older and very pretty English side locks that are way past there best like a classic car that has had a cheap rebuild ,fine to take out for a spin on nice afternoon but that's about all .
Hate to say it but if you had come into my shop and asked the same question I would have said that you should consider an AyA No 1 or 2 , reasonable build quality 2&3/4" chamber that is always an advantage ,spares should they be needed are readily available and I see AyA's that were made in the early 60's still in regular use . There are better finished guns but in my experience they all fall short of the AyA mechanically , some Spanish made side locks are notorious for having uneven and thin walls .
As much as I would like you to buy a fine English side lock and there are many out there to be bought,but due to age and poor maintenance many are just not up to the job .

Sidelock
Sidelock

1.) Always buy the gun, not the name, 2.)make sure you give as much thought to how you're going to sell the gun as you do to why you want to buy it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

'There are lots of Spanish guns sold in England and several English marked guns that originate in Spain'.

There are lots of cats that lick their own buttholes - that doesn't mean it is not disgusting.

MIKE THE BEAR
Unregistered
MIKE THE BEAR
Unregistered

muchatrucha, Who'd you give the 30" Eagle Grade to? I want to call him. blush

I have both an AYA and an Arrieta as well as several English sidelocks. They are fine guns with good workmanship and modern steel. Are they equivalent to Holland & Holland or Purdey? - No. Do they cost an arm & a leg? - Also No.
They are solid serviceable guns, that on the used gun market are a steal, if you put in the time to look around. I also have seen many 29"-30" versions over the last year.
Given that your considering some clays shooting, I might lean towards the Arrieta, which to me anyway, seems to have a little more weight to it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Sure I have a bias. It is based on my experience - no different to anyone else here. My experience is that I have never compared a Spanish gun to an English one without the Spanish one being objectively inferior. Perhaps the fact that I handle English guns all day every day makes me more sensitive to quality. If that is bias - I am indeed biased. My advise, which is all I am giving, bias included, still stands. You don't have to take it.

I too have handled both and own two English and four Spanish. For a NEW gun today, a 8,000 to $80,000 Spanish is a much better value with equal or better workmanship than a British costing the same.

Don't sacrifice the future on the altar of today
Sidelock
Sidelock

Then we agree to disagree.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Smallbore
There are lots of cats that lick their own buttholes - that doesn't mean it is not disgusting.[/quote]
Well what can I say to that reply.........

I do own several nice box locks ( Charles Lancasters) and several nice hammerguns (Harcoms) and a number of Damascus-barreled centenarians, but this time I'm looking for a classic sidelock.

I know that Spanish guns have had their problems in the past but somehow I believe in the new millenium that has been rectified at least by the better builders.

I'm starting to lean toward a recently built Spanish gun in my price range and looking for anyone's actual personal experience with them. Thanks to those who have replied.

I've seen too many loose rib, honed out bores, wide open chokes, repaired wrist, sleeved-barreled problem children to want to go that route again. I do love the English guns that I have, but this time I'm not looking for another continuing $$$ project. I've supported many fine classically trained gunsmiths over the years.

I have found two Third-tier English guns that meet my simple requirements, but both are out of proof, an issue that the reputable businesses fail to mention in their advertisements. Not an easy nor inexpensive issue to rectify living here in the USA.

Still on the hunt....

The only constant in life is change.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Small Bore
'There are lots of Spanish guns sold in England and several English marked guns that originate in Spain'.

There are lots of cats that lick their own buttholes - that doesn't mean it is not disgusting.

What Digs said. Put another way, I find it ultimate ignorance when someone tells me to buy a Ferrari kit car (a knock off) for the same price as a Ferrari.

The Ferrari of guns is English and the Belgians, Spaniards and Italians are making copies.

$3600 for a Spanish boxlock? No thanks, I'll take a Westley Richards. $12,000 for a Spanish best sidelock? I'll take a best Lang or other second tier Brit maker for that money.

Only time Spanish guns or Belgian guns catch my interest is at fire sales. I own a Spanish gun MSRP of $14,000 that I'm into for $2250...about what it's worth to me. It's like holding a fat chick by the canckles. Pig wrists. Gummy wood deserving of pier one imports bistro set. Engraving worthy of an A- at some regional high school art fair. From 10' it really looks like something. Up close, it's just another trailer trash nuveau riche junker.

For me, I'll take the real Ferrari even if has a couple dents....enjoy your fakes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
Originally Posted By: Small Bore
Spanish guns are made by chimps out of cheese.

Quit beating around the bush Dig, tell us what you really think!

Escopates hechan de queso?? Quien sabes, ey? Or, buy a good post 1913 12 LC Smith with TWO triggers- ejectors optional, send it to Buck Hamlin in MO- have him glas-bed it and give it a tune-up--and shoot it for the next 45 years with RST shells- Can you "Dig" it- Limeys and Limey guns-- recalls the late casrus Jack O'Connor's pithy words- (another wise Mick indeed)--=-= "Until you've been conned by a Limey gun fitter or seller (aka- huckster)you have never really truly been conned"_ Words of Irish wisdom--

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Rookhawk
Please remember in my initial post that I'm looking to spend $4-$6k for a 29-30" barreled sidelock. Not many English guns out there in that price range without issues.

The only constant in life is change.
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.