May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Jtplumb, 1 invisible), 251 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,520
Posts545,738
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I followed a couple of auctions in the last couple of
weeks, mostly out of intellectual curiosity. I thought
that I would post them here and see what others thought.

I liked this engraved, 1903, I know who got it and
will try to obtain better pictures of the engraving if anyone is interested. engraved 1903

I saw this 1903 and wondered, is this an NRA sporter that someone modified, or an 03 that was made to look like an NRA sporter that someone modified.
NRA sporter?

And while I don't like to put up links to auctions that are in progress, and I don't know the seller or have any connection to the auction, this looks like a fun project for someone. I hope that I won't offend anyone by posting this link

Winchester 54 project

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fred,
That Model 54 is a puzzling rifle. I can't decide whether I like it or hate it! The styling of the stock is unique, to say the least. I believe that, if I owned it, it would get a quick introduction to Mr. Rasp. to remove some of the protruding scabs of wood. Is this a single shot rifle? I can't find any mention of it in the description, but I suspect it is. Why don't you buy it?

Sidelock
Sidelock

The 03 has several indications that it was indeed a NRA Sporter.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

There is no question that the 03 was an NRA sporter: the stock design, the unique buttplate, the star gauge mark on the muzzle of the barrel, the period Lyman 48 sight are unmistakeable. Someone got a hell of a buy.

The 54 is somewhat of a mystery. With all the photos, there is nothing which shows the magazine arrangement. There is no indication as to whether there is a blind magazine or any magazine at all. However, the long slide Lyman 48 and the trap buttplate are worth far more than the current bid. Someone clever adapted the Redfield scope mount to the Hensoldt scope, which features a mounting rail on the bottom, usually a deterrent from using an American mount. The Buehler safety is a nice feature as well.

Some 54's were reworked at the factory to use the Model 70 trigger and other improvements. There is no way of knowing what has been done to this one without getting it out of the wood. The trigger does not look like a factory Model 54 trigger. The stock is pretty atrocious, but might be salvaged. The trigger guard could be replaced with a Krag guard.

Good eye, PhysDoc

Sidelock
Sidelock

The best proof that the 1903 was an NRA Sporter is that it is on the SRS Sales List as a Sporter. The wood panels inset into the fore end are interesting. There were a few NRA Sporters made with 1922 type stocks with grasping grooves. This must have been one of them. I will agree that it was a good buy as a classic sporter. The collector interest is considerably diminished due to the modified bolt, front sight and band missing, holes in the receiver ring and bridge and the severely modified stock. That being said I would like to own it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Herschel,

I never even considered the wood panels were to alleviate the grasping grooves....duh. The butt plate alone is one hard to find item not to mention the star guage barrel.

Ken

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

M54 project,,,what are those 2 parallel lines drawn on the wood on the bottom just forward of the trigger guard, pics #24 & 25.
It looks about where the outline of the floor plate would sit.

There's a M/S trap butt plate someone on this board could use..

PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, my Dad took possession of that engraved 1903 and tells me that he really likes it and sent me some pictures of the floorplate and the checkering and cheekpiece

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.