May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (R Reynolds, Karl Graebner, Mike Harrell, Jimmy W, 2 invisible), 245 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,502
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#28420 02/27/07 09:48 PM
ML Offline OP
OP Offline

Has anyone bought used one of the SxS imported by De Haan. Please tell me what you think of them as I am interested in your opinion.
What quality is the workmanship and the wood?

Regards
M.L.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have an SO 12 ga. that I picked up used 3 or 4 years ago. I bought it for use as a waterfowl shotgun. It has been bounce around in boats, lugged through the marsh, and all the abuse duck hunting can dish out. I have also shot pasture clays with it for warm up before season opening. The shot guns has held up great, hate the shiney receiver, painted it. Wood is ok, checkering fine considering price, like I say bought mine for marsh hunting, it shoots where it points. Another plus it uses same tubes as Berettas and I also had a number of them. I like it very much.

I bought my DeHaan 12 gauge new, not used, from Mark DeHaan. It is the SO model that is the lowest level SxS - has straight stock and double triggers. Available in several length barrels, mine is 28". This gun is also available in matte black finish in addition to the silver finish that is pictured on the website. The site does not mention that matte black is available. A single trigger model is also available. They are available in 12, 16, 20, 28 and .410 on scaled to gauge frames. The gun handles and shoots great, both tubes are same POI and are well regulated. I have really enjoyed shooting the gun. I bought it to use as a rainy weather pheasant gun and to try double triggers. It took me longer to get used to double triggers than most, but now it is no problem and I actually prefer them. The price has recently gone up to $719 but it does include shipping. Bottom line is that I think it is the best value available for an entry level SxS bought new.

Stever

The wood on my SO is very nice Turkish walnut. Has nice figure and color variation. However, DeHaan's tells me that mine is better wood than most. I think mine looks very nice - guess I got lucky for once.

Stever
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have an SGr (pics below). DeHaan SGr's are, in my opinion, the absolute best bang for your buck in custom shotguns today. You can get a gun, in the gauge you desire, stocked to your dimensions, choked (fixed or tubes) to your desires, with as much or as little engraving as you like (14 engraving options), with wood as nice as you desire (and are willing to pay for), starting at $1595. That's right, a true custom, bespoke gun for under $1600. Of course, wood, engraving, and other upgrades will up the cost.

Here's mine, I got it for $2800 (it was on sale). 12 ga, 28" bbls, Grade IV Circassian Walnut, 05 Engraving, skeletonized buttplate, teardrops.

In all honesty, I believe you're more likely to have a problem with a DeHaan than you would a more expensive gun (i.e. broken firing pin). But, I also believe that you're getting A LOT of gun for the money, and I know that Mark DeHaan goes out of his way to take care of his customers.

My one complaint - you can't get ejectors on any DeHaan SxS guns.

Like the 28 Ga? Check it out:

28 Ga. Society
Sidelock
Sidelock

That is a beautiful gun!!!! Bobby

BPGuy, your SGr is lovely, really a lovely gun. I am posting some pics of my SO to provide a comparison with the entry level DeHaan:

Really not a bad looking little game gun for $675...in my opinion, anyway.

Stever
Sidelock
Sidelock

You could get one of the entry level De Haans or spend the same amount on new Wingmaster or BPS and a couple of cases of shells. In a year or two you'd have a used SxS or a used pump gun. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stever, I like your SO. I am curious, are the barrels blued or matt chrome? Seems like double triggers are the way to go with these guns for reliability. Do you have many rounds through it, and how has it held up?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: bbman3
That is a beautiful gun!!!! Bobby

Thank you Bobby, you're very kind. Thanks to Stever as well. Excellent pics, BTW, and I like the black chrome receiver. Thanks for posting them. I'm sure that your gun is more what he had in mind than mine is, but that's all I have pics of.

From http://www.dhshotguns.com : "Barrels are bored solid bar, inner side plated with durable hard white chrome, outer side plated with black chrome." Click on the link, then click on "Technical Info" on the left side of the page for more details.

I looking this thread over, I realized I posted and didn't even answer the questions in the opening message. Sorry about that.

Quality of workmanship - I'm no expert, but I'd rate it as good to very good; similar to what I'd expect to see on guns that cost twice as much. Not what you'd see on $5,000 guns.

Wood - The wood I've seen on basic (not SGr) De Haan guns is what I'd rate "a bit above average"; again, comparable to $1500 or so guns from other manufacturers. The wood on my SGr has been accused of belonging on a $30,000 shotgun. I'm not saying that's true, but it sure was nice to hear!

In essence, I think we get quality and materials that are comparable to guns that cost twice as much, and I know that Mark De Haan takes a personal interest in keeping his customers happy.

Last edited by BPGuy; 03/02/07 02:44 PM.

Like the 28 Ga? Check it out:

28 Ga. Society
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.