April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jem Finch, Jeremy Pearce, Longknife, Jimmy W, SKB), 1,204 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,843
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#325705 05/20/13 12:32 PM
PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi I hate to clog up the board with a request for help and promise I will try to put up some posts that people will find more interesting, but here is my situation. I have a Weaver K4
with Weaver rings on it. The rings are one piece rings and I have no idea how the front ring was put on the scope or how to
go about taking it off. Was the scope partially disassembled?
If so, how do I do it? J.D. Steele was always good at answering
these questions.

Sidelock
Sidelock

PhysDoc,
They had to "spring" the ring open, then close it back after inserting the scope.
Mike

PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Mike,
Any tips on the best way to spring them open?

PhysDoc

Sidelock
Sidelock

I got rid of the last K4 I had a while back, but I seem to remember that one could dismantle the turret from the tube, unscrew the ocular lens, and slide the ring off?

I should think that spreading the ring open far enough to clear the turrets would put a nasty kink in them. Might actually be the best approach actually now that I think about it. Just plan on using better split rings to re-mount on the gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doc: I have used this trick shown to me by Jules La Bantchni at Pachmayr's. If you have a piece of flat steel or anything the ring will clamp on securely [he had a piece made for this purpose]and long enough to get a good grasp or purchase on. Then loop a very strong piece of parachute cord around an anchored point [he used an anchored bench vice] and under the ring at the 2 to 3 o'clock position [the ring opening being 5 o'clock. You can pull VERY SLOWLY WHILE SOMEONE ELSE WAITS UNTIL THE RING OPENS JUST ENOUGH TO SLIP THE SCOPE OUT. It will spring the metal somewhat but if done slowly, you should be able to bend it back down and tighten the screws up with no problem. Good Luck Jerry
p.s. DO NOT DISMANTLE THE TURRET.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Only one way to remove. The same way they were installed. Spread them apart.

Regards,
Ken

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

Alvin Linden,
I usually just got under it with a screwdriver and my hands after marking the approximate location so any scratches would be hidden(usually false hope).I didn't have help.Thanks a lot for the tip.
Mike

PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Mike, Ken and Jerry. I took Jerry's advice and made the following, it is just a 1/8" by 2" x 10" piece of flat stock that I drilled and tapped two holes in. I also cut the edges so that it would not hit the bell or the turret.

I then attached it to the scope ring, lifted, removed the scope. Here is a picture of the piece attached to the ring after the scope was removed.

Although, it isn't a sporting rifle, this may be useful to others who may have purchased rifles with various kinds of claw bases but no rings or scope. Awhile back, I won an auction for a Romanian VZ-24 sniper rifle. I thought it would be a fun challenge to try to make a set of rings for it. Whitey and my dad suggested trying to just make adaptor blocks for Weaver or Redfield rings. I had a Weaver K4 with Weaver rings on it, so I choose to use that. I made the adaptor blocks, but when I put everything together, I realized I couldn't flip the switch on the base.

By flipping the ring around, everything works great, I can get the scope on and off the rifle. Before I do any more work, i.e. polishing, bluing, and maybe a few other things, I need a trip to the range to see how rigid it is and how well it holds zero when the scope is removed and put back on.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fred good idea glad it worked for you. Whitey

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doc: I'm glad my post gave you some direction, however it was the great Jules La Bantchni's trick that inspired you...not mine. I just sat at his elbow and picked it up. Congrats on a job well done and THANKS for sharing with us all. PAY IT FORWARD Jerry

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.