May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (eightbore, KDGJ, susjwp, Sandlapper, 2 invisible), 818 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,518
Posts545,724
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

This is an Ithaca assembled Lefever. The serial numbers from that group of guns are all over the place. The original Lefevers didn't put the grade on the barrels. It is quite possible those barrels weren't used on a gun by the original company because of the mistake, or the second number was stamped to match the frame by Ithaca.

Great-Great Grandson of D.M. Lefever
www.lefevercollectors.com
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Interesting Dr. Bob, although the first sounds more likely doesn't it? If they stamped the other number later and it just happened to almost match... what a coincidence that would have been. Although we'll never know will we?

In general, are Ithaca-assembled guns held at a lower value than those assembled by the original company? The difference in Philly and Utica Sterlingworths come to mind.

Shane

Last edited by shanebevel; 07/10/13 11:19 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

If the bbl finish is original,,I'd guess the 55407H number is the first to have been applied of the two number stampings on the bbls.
That number has soft solder in the stamp impressions and the impressions has it's raised imprint filed or polished flat with the bbl surface.
That tells me the stamp was on the tube when it was assembled along with the ribs & soldered together.
Then the assembly cleaned up of excess solder before the finish applied.

The other number (55470) looks to have been stamped into the surface before the finish applied (in the white), and after any soldering work was done (no run over solder in the impressions) and also no polishing down of the raised portion of the imprint(s) was done after it was stamped.

The different sets of stamps used on the bbl numbers has already been noted.

55470 on the frame and forend was done with yet a different set of stamps than the 55470 on the bbl.

Just observations of the stampings themselves,,I don't have any idea of how/when Lefever (or Ithaca) marked the bbls and parts during mfg & assembly.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had an E grade XX frame 16ga Lefever that not only had an dyslexic serial number anomoly but the name Lefever was mispelled on the frame. That gun was death on quail. I traded it off to another member here for a Parker...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gun was built on Monday morning.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In Detroit?

Sam Welch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not a double gun, but I once owned an H&R Model 999 Sportsman that had most of the major parts serial numbered. On a couple of them, the last two digits were reversed (71 instead of 17 - why would I remember that, anyway?). Since the stampings lined up so well, I always assumed that the group of numbers went into a holder and the holder had been dropped or the numbers had fallen out and been replaced improperly. Not that it matters, but Lefever wasn't the only company with this happening from time to time.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ithaca assembled guns aren't necessarily less valuable than the original Lefever Arms Co guns because all of the parts were made by the LAC (except the stocks)before the takeover by Ithaca. Ithaca assembled some very fine guns. They also assembled mismatched and factory upgraded guns.

Great-Great Grandson of D.M. Lefever
www.lefevercollectors.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have an E grade with ejectors, an 1898 build,. there is no E for ejector on the water table, the tang serial is 20,XXX, while the barrels, water table, and forearm all sport 26,XXX, same last three numbers.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

FYI, I bought this gun today for $650. There is more case coloring than I thought there would be and after a simple oil wipe down the contrast on the damascus bbls is really very nice. It's a neat piece. Not sure if I'll turn it around and sell it or hang onto it for a bit. I'll post some better photos in a bit. It's a pretty neat original gun.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.