April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (smlekid), 1,150 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,841
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Boxlock
Boxlock

PhysDoc,

Thanks for the additional information on your Niedner rifle. I was just curious as to the rate of twist, whether 1-10 or 1-12 inches.

Thanks again for posting the photographs of Dan's rifle

Thanks, and best regards,

Rick

Fair winds and a fast ship.
PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: xausa
As you probably know, Ben Comfort won the 1935 Wimbledon Cup at Camp Perry, shoooting a .300 H&H target rifle made for him on a M1917 Enfield action by Griffin & Howe.
http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/2009/09/history-ben-comfort-1935-wimbledon-cup.html

This caused a sensation in the long range (1000 yard) shooting community and a sudden increase in interest for what had been until then a rather obscure cartridge.

Your Niedner looks really fine. I assume it is a single shot and that in place of a magazine there is a trough to facilitate loading. Pictures of the action with the bolt open would be nice, as well as the underside of the stock.

Congratulations on a great find.

This doesn't hold a candle to your Niedner, but this is my Dubiel heavy barrelled Springfield target rifle, made in imitation of the Springfield Model T or Special Target rifles, in caliber .30-'06:

I saw this on gunbroker today, a rifle that Ben Comfort may have used at Wimbleton

G&H 300 H&H

Sidelock
Sidelock

I hadn't thought about that rifle that Boats and I discussed earlier, but I'm thinking about it now. He described it as the finest rifle he had ever seen. He may be right. The Comfort rifle is expensive, but someone may pay the price, not me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gary D.

Originally Posted By: xausa

Originally Posted By: Michael Petrov
xausa,

Nice Dubiel, how is it marked and does it have a number with the name?

I don't know how I overlooked this question from Michael, but the answer is that the barrel is marked "30-06 Dubiel Arms Co. No. 734."
The action is Springfield Armory number 1248887 and it is fitted with a Lyman 48 rear sight without the hinged aperture insert. The front sight is a Lyman 17, the kind with a dovetail made to fit the issue Springfield front sight base. It is mounted on an integral ramp with a dovetail cut which just fits the sight. The action is fitted with a custom trigger marked "EADS MFG. CO." and a headless cocking piece.

Whoever has Michael's records might be able to use this information

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for your diligence, Gary. Your google-fu skills exceed mine. Yes, I'm the proud caretaker of this Dubiel rifle now. It pleases me to know that it passed through Bill's hands at one time. I bought it from the viewpoint of it being a nifty pre-war target rifle, without remembering it from this old thread.

I have installed a Fecker scope on it and plan to give it a whirl this weekend if the weather holds. Fred- this is the gun you provided the Lyman 48 slide blank for last week. I'm a cast bullet enthusiast, so the Dubiel may well only ever see cast bullets used in it from here on out. (As nice as the bore is, I have high hopes for it in that regard.)

Last edited by Gary D.; 12/17/19 07:12 PM.
Boxlock
Boxlock

I am trying to educate myself about a Niedner rifle that belonged to my Grandfather. He has been gone since 1980, but his Niedner remains in the family. He was a world class collector, and an expert marksman. He did shoot at Camp Perry, and was well known in his day. I have tried to search online, but this rifle has what I think is called a rolling block action, and all I can find are bolt actions. Help, please. What kind of identifying marks can I look for? The top of the barrel is stamped with Niedner Rifle Corp, Dowagiac, MICH.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If its a Rolling Block rifle, remove the forearm and look for a barrel number and/or initials on the bottom of the barrel.

Joe

Sidelock
Sidelock

A couple pictures would really really help.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Bottom of the barrel has 808. Also, on the front of the receiver, under the forearm has 5 88. I will try to post some pictures. Thank you both for responding.

Boxlock
Boxlock

How can I get pictures posted here?

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.