May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Ted Schefelbein, Ian Forrester), 353 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,520
Posts545,735
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

Personally I do not consider ""a A-5 or 391 gas jackhammer would be the obvious choice over inferior sxs guns"" a SxS to be an inferior gun. True it will not hold as many shells, if one needs that many for a single head of game or a single covey rise for that matter. Probably this held true in days gone by when flights of ducks dropped into clearings by the hundreds & one could let a raft of them settle on the water & then start working on the ones still in the air & the others as they rose. This situation doesn't exist anymore. To me "Personally" the superior handling qualities of a SxS for the type of shooting I mainly do allows me to take the same amount of game with fewer shots. There is, I think, little question a .410 of the same grade & model, unless strictly speaking of "New Guns", will bring 2-3 times that of one in even a 20ga. Also, & not because I chose them, there is no doubt a 20ga or bigger is ballisticlly superior to a .410. I have no problem with anyone who enjoys it, using one, I just have no desire to do so. I also note virtually all the hunters I have ever been around who shot a .410 always opted for the 3" shell & Max loads. I can have just as much fun, at half the price on shells, with a minimum load in a 16 or 20 & for the same gun money shoot a much higher grade gun. Some of us, even on a high class board like this one, do stil have to watch how we spend our money.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Bouvier Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Chuck ...... you are over the limit! The 410 police will be around to confiscate one of the Nitro's.

Bouvier

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Jakearoo,
I took up shooting to get away from people who golf! But, my gunsafe is, at the moment, quite full. A double each of gauges 12, 16, and 20 is at home in there, as are three different pump 12s, two 20s, and a 16, in addition to two handguns (one other is in my jacket pocket) as well as several .22 rifles. There are several gun projects laying about I haven't counted, either.
Hell, I've got choke tubes that aren't out of the package yet.

I can't afford serious art (I have a three month old son and a Colombian born wife who stays at home to care for him) but, much as I enjoy looking at art, I don't need to own it. I need to own an IRA and a pension, and an education fund of some sort. The guns are art, I suppose, but, I demand it be functional-I own no safe queens. I have more than I could ever be truly proficient with. Remember the saying "Beware the man with one gun"? I've strayed quite far from that. I don't believe it has improved my shooting. Or, actually, anybodies shooting.

A 410 on top of that would be simple folly, and plenty exists in other forms about the homestead, ie, my motorcycles, old musclecar, boat and whathave you.

You can have my 410. Did I mention I bought 4 boxes of Federal 20 gauge ammunition for $15.97 at Walmart, and the cheapest 410 was $8.97 a box?
Folly. Simple folly.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

According to a friend of mine, a Nitro Special in .410 with a short stock brought $2900 at a rather infamous gun auction last week.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted,

Stay the course. It sounds like you've got everything in the proper perspective.Except maybe the golf thing!!!

Ken

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have no interest in golf, too easy. Only takes 18 to make a perfect game. Takes 25 for a perfect round of skeet or trap! 50% tougher.

> Jim Legg <

Thanks Eightbore. The stocking was done by Mr. Mixell, the engraving by Mr. Bee.

Ted, I’m not quite sure how to take your comment. I’ll assume that you are implying, rather sarcastically, that the birds in the pics are preserve birds – if so, you are correct. The first pic shows part of the bag from a last-day of the season clean-up scratch hunt at the club where the dogs and guide; the others just normal scratching hunting.

I do NOT use the .410 for wild birds. At one time I used the .410 for local doves, but these days they fly so high that has become a 12 gauge game. I use a 12 for most of my western wild bird hunting (phez, Huns prairie grouse, etc); I use a 20 for most of my eastern wild bird hunting (phez, ruffed grouse, etc); I use a 28 for most pen-raised birds (phez, chukar, Huns and quail). Now and then I will take the old M42 out to shoot some pen-raised. It works just fine out to 20-25 yards with 3” loads throwing #7½. Shots are generally easy over the pointy dawgs. If I did any wild quail hunting, I might change my mind about using it on wild birds.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg,
You'd really enjoy that 42 on some wild Valley Quail out west. I know plenty of people that use a 410 on wild quail out here. Is it tougher than a skeet choked 12g with 1 1/8 oz of #8s? Of course. That's the point, of course.

Miller,
My point was that since hunting as we know it, is done for enjoyment only and as such, each person seeking that enjoyment is best qualified to judge whether or not they are getting inferior or superior enjoyment. Some get their enjoyment out of watching their dogs work, some from collecting large quantities of game, some from shooting particular guns. All the same thing: the pursuit of enjoyment.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"All the same thing: the pursuit of enjoyment."
Chuck; My point exactly. I simply answered that no I wasn't looking for a .410 & told "MY" reasons why. I had no intent to keep anyone else from enjoying their's if that's what they like. I have greatly enjoyed my hunting for 50+ years & it never involved a .410.
If you were to see me it would be obvious I enjoy "Eating" but I don't eat "Liver". Given the choice of some pan fried "Hand Slung" chiterlings & the a dish of liver (any liver, chicken, pig, cow, venison, all them that folks have told me, you got to try this kind, you'll love it) prepared by the world's finest chef I'd take the "Chittlins". I don't care for a .410. As far as I know I had the same right to state my opinion in answering this question as those who love the pip-squeaks do. "If" someone did't answer in the negative, the wrong conclusion would be drawn to the question.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Same here...about stating opinions, that is. While I've disagreed with you on some things, I've never denied your right to state your opinion as you have implied on more than one occasion I've stated a differing opinion. I welcome your opinion and input...don't always agree, but you're opinion is always worth the read.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.