May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Argo44, WBLDon, steve f, KY Jon, 1 invisible), 706 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,604
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
GaryO Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

no offense taken; life is too short.

GaryO

NRA
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gary,
are you talking about an old John Dickson from Scotland, or the modern turkish (?) Dickenson..?....there's alot of difference.
I wouldn't be buying ebony rods or crystal oil bottles for the latter..though you might need the screwdrivers.
franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

I make my own cleaning patches from cheap Walmart flannel. An hours time and you'll have a lifetime supply. I cut mine about 1 1/4" wide and 2 1/2" long (nothing precise here). Wet with Hoppes and wrap around bronze cleaning brush. Works far better than anything I've ever used. I dry with patches of paper shop towels cut to the same dimensions. Wooden rods are by far the best. To really clean out plastic fouling I have a bronze English brush mounted on a graphite cleaning rod and chucked in a hand drill. Spin it through the bore a couple times and that junk is gone!

Last edited by Joe Wood; 07/19/13 05:33 PM.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

A post that reviews good basics. is never bad advice. A set of precision ground s/drivers -- gunsmith's from Brownell's --- and the cleaning dis-assembly experience posted above, should prolly be a sticky for the board. Such an expanded post co-authored by the resident wisdom's would look pretty good in Dave's permanent 'stuff'.

Relax; we're all experts here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good thot, John.

For a classic cleaning set of goodies I would point you toward Beretta. I have a primo set of turn screws etc of theirs that has come to the rescue a few times.

That bit of advice about steel brushes of any kind cannot be mentioned often enough.

HOWEVERRRRR I never trust the habits of any previous owner and strip to the bones every gun I get. You only have to find one rust crumpled spring in a several $K gun to bring that home to you. But that might just be me.

have a day

Dr.WtS

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just wait until a bird flushes and he shoulders that John Dickson, after that he'll be buying the best of everything to clean and take care of it. I guarantee it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

1 Bronze bore brush
2 Bronze chamber brush
3 Wool mop (To apply bore protection of your choice after cleaning)
4 Wooden rods stay away from metal types (your choice of wood I use adapted one piece snooker cues)
5 Pipe cleaners for cleaning and lubricating the extractor hole
6 Bronze Jag if you can obtain one though Brass will do for cloth patches
7 The all important grease for the cross pin joint
And above all do the gun cleaning job properly by taking your time. Screw drivers can bring a world of trouble in the wrong hands!!!!!!!!!

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: damascus
1 Bronze bore brush
2 Bronze chamber brush
3 Wool mop (To apply bore protection of your choice after cleaning)
4 Wooden rods stay away from metal types (your choice of wood I use adapted one piece snooker cues)
5 Pipe cleaners for cleaning and lubricating the extractor hole
6 Bronze Jag if you can obtain one though Brass will do for cloth patches
7 The all important grease for the cross pin joint
And above all do the gun cleaning job properly by taking your time. Screw drivers can bring a world of trouble in the wrong hands!!!!!!!!!

Agree with all of the above, but I would add that so called Payne Gallwey pattern brushes are excellent and I use a fibre (rather than metal) Payne Gallwey brush to apply oil rather than a wool mop.

GaryO Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My shotgun is not a John Dickinson & Sons. It is a Turkish made shotgun imported by Cabelas and is a 16 gauge, English straight stock/splinter, DT, ejectors, with screw chokes.

GaryO

NRA
Sidelock
Sidelock

I never use bore solvents. Years ago when cleaning many riot guns
in an armory we used 000 steel wool on wooden dowels chucked in a drill motor. I never measured any metal removal in the barrels. After another gun technician bought some Tornado Brushes and used them without any type of cleaner just a wipe out with oiled patch until clean. I started using this type of brush in my SXS older guns and have access to some very good bore micromerers. The results are fantastic dry scrub with tornado brush and wipe clean and lube with Ballistol and some grease on the hinge pins. If you do this after cleaning with a bristle brush you will find all the residue left and the bores will look better when you look through them.

Last edited by GMCS; 07/24/13 03:53 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.