April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,029 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#333642 08/06/13 11:22 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I seem to recall but can't find a post explaining a simple repair to a high wall firing pin. It may have come from JD Steele shortly before he died. My problem is to replace the tip and maintain its temper while fastening it securely in place. Any help will be much appreciated.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill,

Not sure what JD's technique was. But it is possible to drill the pin (on a lathe) and insert the appropriate size(press fit)drill rod. No tempering required.

Regards,
Ken

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill,

I tried to find my high-wall parts but no luck. I did the the very thing Ken said and I'm sure when I pressed it in there was a little red loctite.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Speaking of high-walls now that I have lost my friend and gunsmith I am clueless as who could barrel a high-wall for me.

I need someone who UNDERSTANDS how to to find the proper placement for the main (flat) spring. I can even supply the fixture for this.

With all the down time I have been thinking of all the projects that I have backed up and it's daunting. Any Borchardt folks you would recommend to install a set of Zischang DST? I know we all look at these things different and if you would like to make private recommendations that would be fine.

Sidelock
Sidelock

MP,
Without a doubt one of the very best persons to rebarrel a highwall is right here (at least sometimes). Glenn Fewless understands how to barrel a highwall like few other folks. He can fix your pin too. Lots of methods for doing that. Drilling it out and replacing the tit with a roller bearing, S7 Steel, or spring wire are all well recommended by many accomplished shooters.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

use stress proof or fatigue proof steel
no heat treat required
drill rod ( o1 or a2 etc) is too brittle and will fail over time

I prefer to set up in lathe (made a 5c collet with clearance for leg of firing pin) and face back around 1/8 inch then drill hole bigger than firing pin and make press fit pin
with shoulder same diameter as old firing pin and then smallest diameter to go through breach face ... simpler than it sounds and very strong.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
MP, Without a doubt one of the very best persons to rebarrel a highwall is right here (at least sometimes). Glenn Fewless understands how to barrel a highwall like few other folks. He can fix your pin too. Lots of methods for doing that. Drilling it out and replacing the tit with a roller bearing, S7 Steel, or spring wire are all well recommended by many accomplished shooters.
Brent

Thanks I had thought of Glenn a while back and now that you reminded me a good idea.

My pin is fine ;-) as a matter of fact my high-wall action has a Mann-Niedner pin.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Piano wire will work for you virtuoso's. smile
I like like M-N pin!!!

Last edited by Ken Nelson; 08/07/13 01:53 PM.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks to all who replied. I cut off the old tip, drilled out it's base, fitted a new tip of drill rod, and Loctited it in place. When it fails, I'll follow Harris' advice re alloy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have used RCBS decaping pins for replacement firing pins a trick I got from Bob Snapp.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.