April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (AaronN, David Williamson, Ian Forrester, 4 invisible), 507 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,103
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
CJO Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello gents....I need your help to identify this maker, is it Ashford & Allen ?
Your help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

CJ

The taste of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.........
Sidelock
Sidelock

Could be Joseph Allen of Ashford in Kent, in business 1810-1826 according to Bailey & Nie.

Sidelock
Sidelock

the Birmingham final black powder proof (with the BCP)was in use from 1813

may I say, those are some of the clearest proof mark pictures I have seen posted. nice job

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree fully with OH Osthaus about the great photos.
Mike

CJO Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for your help....I'm a not familiar with Bailey & Nie are there any other sources of information on guns of this period?
Here is my other question....would a 60" barrelled 6 bore qualify as a punt gun? or just a big fowling piece?
Was Joseph Allen a well known maker?...this looks like a good quality piece.
BTW...I use an little Fuji 5.2 megapix on the macro setting, take many shots and edit them before posting...that's all I've ever used, takes a good picture

Thanks

CJ

The taste of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.........
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: CJO
Thanks for your help....I'm a not familiar with Bailey & Nie are there any other sources of information on guns of this period?
Here is my other question....would a 60" barrelled 6 bore qualify as a punt gun? or just a big fowling piece?
Was Joseph Allen a well known maker?...this looks like a good quality piece.
BTW...I use an little Fuji 5.2 megapix on the macro setting, take many shots and edit them before posting...that's all I've ever used, takes a good picture

Thanks

CJ

16 bore is a little small for a punt gun, there were some makers experimenting with very long barrels. I there is a PA long rifle with a 54" barrel and i once saw a fowler with one of 60".

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php is a muzzleloading board, there is an English who uses the screen name "Feltwad" who has a lot of knowledge about these pieces

CJO Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

No...... I said "6" bore not 16

CJ

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: CJO
No...... I said "6" bore not 16

CJ

yes you did sir, note to self -clean glasses before replying.

so yes - maybe a punt gun, but Feltwad still may be a good source of information.

CJO Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you for the info, I will try to get in contact him

All best

CJ

Sidelock
Sidelock

Six gauge isn't necessarily a punt gun as there are 4 gauge guns meant for shoulder firing. But the 60 inch barrel is a pretty good indicator someone meant to rest the forend on something, probably a rest across the front of his punt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.