April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Argo44, rtw, SKB, Jtplumb, Jimmy W), 430 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,444
Posts544,808
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A couple of weeks ago, Whitey asked me if I would have any use for a stock for a large ring Mauser. It looked like a very nice stock, so I said yes and promised to begin work on putting a barreled action in it upon arrival. We agreed on the barrel ed action to put in the stock, awhile back I bought someones unfinished project, a VZ-24 action, with a 6.5x55 barrel and opposing triggers. The front one takes the slack out, the metal needs a fair bit of work. Ive kept a journal of progress. Rather than give you the day-by-day progress, I will summarize highlights from the first couple weeks of work and try to update things after significant changes. If you want, send me a PM and I will send you a pdf file with the daily progress. Please understand that progress will be slow. Much of the work is done after the kids have been put to bed. Whitey likes to see what people are working on and we hope that others might add to this thread or create similar threads.

Here is what we are starting with:

These pictures show the stock and action. I like the cheekpiece of the stock, and it does have a Winchester style steel buttplate. It looks very much like a Paul Jaeger stock, but there are no initials carved behind the buttplate.

Week 1. I inletted the trigger guard and action into the stock, put the triggers back on and inletted those. I replaced the white line spacers with black line spacers and began reshaping the trigger guard and polishing the floorplate.

Week 2 to 2.5. Whitey and I discussed putting in a hinged floorplate with a lever release. I had done this before and made a holder to help with that. But I was not happy with my first effort and spent a lot of time designing things, making file guides and correcting flaws in my holder. But in the end, I was pretty happy with things, here are pictures of the milling of the slot for the hinge and the drilling hinge pin.

And what the more or less finished product looks like

Once the hinge was made and soldered to the floorplate and a lever was made, I put it back on the stock and inletted the area underneath the hinge so that the hinge can rotate.

I glued on a Lyman 48 and a front sight to check if the sight combination is feasible. It looks good. I get a nice sight picture when I put the rifle to my shoulder.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Its a fine looking rifle and in a very good, accurate calibre. What do you intend to hunt with it ?

PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the kind words, the rifle has got a long way to go, but I plan to give it to my daughter and let her decide what to hunt with it. She is only 5 months old right now, she has a long way to go, too grin But I hope she hunts whitetail deer with it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, but you'll have to keep it warm for her for the next decade or so.

Sidelock
Sidelock

PhysDoc,
I agree with bonny, nice work.I like your"set up" on the mill also. Whitey is a really nice guy, isn't he?
Mike

PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Der Ami
PhysDoc,
I agree with bonny, nice work.I like your"set up" on the mill also. Whitey is a really nice guy, isn't he?
Mike

Yup, Whitey ia a great guy, he's given me a lot of help and great ideas over the last couple of years.

Thanks for the compliment on the set-up.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fred, I enjoyed your progress PDF. I smiled, imagining that the person who fitted the white spacers was as pleased with the outcome as I was with the results of removing them smile

PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi Gary,

I have an old issue of the American Rifleman where someone wrote in to explain how he made his own whiteline spacers using sections cut from a white plastic bleach bottle. Removing
the spacer between the buttplate and the stock would have left
gaps and so, I made a blackline spacer using a section cut from a black 1 quart oil container. I was pleased at how nice things looked. I still have the whiteline spacer, just in case they become fashionable again.

Fred

Sidelock
Sidelock

I made several floorplate levers from Stevens single barrel levers, by hand before I had the machinery. I made them to please my eye because I didn't have a sample to go by. I made them smaller than typical, but they pleased me. It took a lot of filing, filed the lug small enough to start a 1/4-28 Die and cutting the thread made it truly round.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fred, the bottom metal and triggers have a Model 1922 Newton look about them. One of my favorites. Very nice work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.