March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (welder, canvasback, Lloyd3, SKB, Owenjj3), 804 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The newest importer for B&P, Aerostar Outdoors, is attempting to obtain enough commitments to enable them them to place an order with B&P for the 12 ga High Pheasant 30 gram #5 shot load.

RCC has posted on the B&P 16ga F2 thread today that conversation with Kari McCormick @ Aerostar Outdoors indicated they are not getting enough commitments to purchase to meet the 600 flat minimum order that B&P requires.

This is a 65 mm /2 1/2" case 1 1/16 oz @ 1280 fps. B&P published pressure is 580 BAR/8416 PSI & IMHO an excellent Pheasant load for guns of game gun weight or heavier.

I would encourage any of you who have an interest in the availability of this load to contact k.mckormick @aerostarglobal.com or Aerostar Outdoors @ 866-251-4245/aerostaroutdoors.com and place an order or express your interest.

I have no affiliation with B&P or Aerostar Outdoors & my only interest in this is to keep some high quality loads that are suitable for use in SxS guns available.

Sidelock
Sidelock

These are wonderful shells and we need to encourage folks that make such available for old guns.

RCC Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Brittany Man
The newest importer for B&P, Aerostar Outdoors, is attempting to obtain enough commitments to enable them them to place an order with B&P for the 12 ga High Pheasant 30 gram #5 shot load.

RCC has posted on the B&P 16ga F2 thread today that conversation with Kari McCormick @ Aerostar Outdoors indicated they are not getting enough commitments to purchase to meet the 600 flat minimum order that B&P requires.

Actually, I posted that when I last talked to Kari, about 3 weeks ago, that she was still hoping for more commitments for the load, as the Italians are requiring her to order in lots of 600 flats.

Like Brittany Man, I hope enough of us who shoot that load will place an order so that we assure ourselves of its availability.

bc
Sidelock
Sidelock

Though not so much an issue among DGS regulars, shooters tend to match shell and chamber length - consciously or otherwise. Frankly, I have more use for the faster Hi-Phez in heavier 2 3/4" 12s. Used it in the 391, a 101, and a M-12 at towers. It worked just fine, to understate by more than a little.

As for the 16 in #5, nothing I ran through my .021 SR M-12 clobbered phez at distance so well. When I took guests out that was my backup gun/load.

I put in a lifetime supply of both loads many years ago. No need for more....unless someone will build me a pyramid.

OK, I suppose a few cases in my burial ship would add some ballast, but that's my final blush offer.

Sam

Sidelock
Sidelock

I just got a note from Kari sayig the High Pheasant #5's will be in in Dec. a little late for me but I will take a case to so I have them for next year. I have three cases of 6's and 7's now.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Oops just saw that was 1 1/16 oz., she notified me about the 1 oz. 5's that I wanted.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

[quote=Samuel_"Hoggson]Though not so much an issue among DGS regulars, shooters tend to match shell and chamber length - consciously or otherwise. Frankly, I have more use for the faster Hi-Phez in heavier 2 3/4" 12s. Used it in the 391, a 101, and a M-12 at towers. It worked just fine, to understate by more than a little."

Samuel,

I think you hit the nail on the head with the above comments. The real niche for the High Pheasant 1 1/16 oz load is in 2 3/4" chambered guns of 3 1/4 ton 1 1/4 oz proof or equivalent yet most people will bypass this load & shoot SAAMI spec 2 3/4" loads that aren't really appropriate in their guns.

Couple that with all the consumers who buy into my brother in law Bubba Magnumitis' philosophy that it's a waste of time to hunt pheasants with any less than a Benelli stuffed full of Federal Prairie Storm 1/1/4 oz @ 1500 fps loads& it's tough for a manufacturer to justify offering a load like the High Pheasant 30 gm load.

Anyway, I appreciate the efforts of those who made a commitment to purchase a flat.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I ran recoil energy numbers on the Prairie Storms. They match the .338 Win with 250 gr heads. Also ran the 1 5/8 oz 1350 fps load numbers; they exceed .375 Holland 300 gr numbers.

Cape Buffalo/Polar Bear stopping power levels.....for birds. Cool.

Will definitely use them on my upcoming pterodactyl safari. I mean, I'll pay someone to shoot them for me.....if I can be indemnified against any total shoulder replacement/rehab expenses incurred.

Sam

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would be very leery of the 1-1/16 ounce high pheasant loads. They are faster than they state and the pressure is substantial. No reason they should make a 2.5" shell that hot.

The 1 ounce version is fantastic and at reasonable pressures. The test data I saw indicated they are 500-1000 psi hotter than published on many of their loads. This info was discussed on the shotgunworld forum.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Rookhawk,

First of all let me say that I think any thing over 1200 fps is unnecessary in an upland load & I think the 1 1/16 oz High Pheasant would be just as effective if they backed it off to 1200 fps reducing pressure a little as well.

That said I've shot both the 1 1/16 oz & 1 oz High Pheasant & I prefer the 1 1/16 oz for my pheasant hunting & I don't perceive the recoil is much different between the two (obviously the 1 1/16 is greater).

Do you have data specific to the 1 1/16 oz & 1 oz High Pheasant loads indicating 500 to 1000 psi greater pressure than B&P's published pressure or are you referring to the Armbrust data that was published on the 16 ga F2 Classic load & one other I can't remember.

I can't find any published pressure data on the 1 oz High Pheasant load but the B&P data is 8416 psi with the 1 1/16 oz load.

So much info has been bantered about on the conversion from earlier proof & service pressure recommendations to the new CIP standard that I'm hard pressed to know what to believe.

Following is the info I've been using. If this is wrong someone please correct me.

850 BAR proof = 650 Bar/10730 psi service pressure
3 1/4 Ton proof = 9682 psi service pressure
3 Ton proof = 8938 psi service pressure

So if the B&P data is correct it should be safe to use in all of the above & even if it's @ 1000 psi over it's still within max service pressure in the guns with 850 BAR or 3 1/4 Ton proof & just slightly over (478 psi) in guns proofed @ 3 Tons.

I personally only use the 1 1/16 oz High Pheasant in guns proofed 3 1/4 Ton or greater but if I had a sound gun proofed @ 3 Tons of appropriate weight I would likely use it there as well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.