April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (2 invisible), 408 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,475
Posts545,170
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Paradox #340183 10/02/13 05:10 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Paradox,
I don't think the actions are tested,they have already been proofed and the makers of ELs know from experience which actions are suitable for which cartridge.However, there are two different lines of answers in this thread.One is for insert barrels(einstecklauf-EL)and the other is sleeved barrels.Zimmerman and Henneberger, as well as many others,can also do this work.Avaliable calibers are pretty much dependent on the particular action.Once the barrels are sleeved, they have to undergo full proof testing.
Mike

Paradox #340190 10/02/13 06:21 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Paradox's statement that the insert screwed to adjust at the muzzle with captive extractor is "interesting". Yes, it is "interesting", and also 130 year old technology at the minimum.

Paradox #340193 10/02/13 07:57 PM
Paradox Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

It may be old but it's new to me. I am still honing my machining skills and learning the basics of gun making! The old stuff fascinates me. I hope my questions didn't come across as idiotic!

Sidelock
Sidelock

eightbore,
As far as I know, the full length, full caliber Einstecklaufs that adjust at the muzzle(V.V.V.)were developed by Hans Zimmermann in the late 1970s/early 80s and he started marketing them in 81-82.Since then, a couple other makers have come onto the market. Sleeving is likely more than a hundred years old, but it usually used soft solder, rather than threads.These barrels were adjusted(regulated)the tradional way.
Mike

Paradox #340220 10/03/13 10:34 AM
Paradox Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

"I don't think the actions are tested,they have already been proofed and the makers of ELs know from experience which actions are suitable for which cartridge.However, there are two different lines of answers in this thread.One is for insert barrels(einstecklauf-EL)and the other is sleeved barrels.Zimmerman and Henneberger, as well as many others,can also do this work.Avaliable calibers are pretty much dependent on the particular action.Once the barrels are sleeved, they have to undergo full proof testing."

First of all, I would like to thank everyone for their thoughtful and helpful answers!

Mike, I am leaning towards going with EL inserts. Is my understanding correct that ELs can be removed by unscrewing and the gun used again as a shotgun?

Paradox #340266 10/03/13 05:42 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am not awae if he produced any rifles my the method, but Henri Pieper definitely produced double shotguns in wihich the tubes were threaded into a steel one piece breech piece. These were "True Monoblock" breeches though Pieper did not call them that. I am not certain but highly suspect the Beretta firm coined the term Monoblock & perhaps even copyrighted it. The tubes on this Pieper system (Of which I have one) only go about half way through the breech piece & at least some of them were marked "Modified Diana" (As is mine). They are pictured & described in a 1911 "Alfa" catalog, but preceded that date by some years I believe.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Paradox #340267 10/03/13 06:01 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Paradox,
The ELs are not threaded to the barrels, they are usually held in by a sliding block that does operate by a screw.They can be removed/reinstalled with out any damage, and the shotgun used as before.
Mike

2-piper #340295 10/04/13 12:15 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
I am not aware if he produced any rifles my the method, but Henri Pieper definitely produced double shotguns in which the tubes were threaded into a steel one piece breech piece. These were "True Monoblock" breeches though Pieper did not call them that. I am not certain but highly suspect the Beretta firm coined the term Monoblock & perhaps even copyrighted it. The tubes on this Pieper system (Of which I have one) only go about half way through the breech piece & at least some of them were marked "Modified Diana" (As is mine). They are pictured & described in a 1911 "Alfa" catalog, but preceded that date by some years I believe.

Miller,

He did produce cape guns. I just don't remember if they were monobloc.

While monoblock may have appeared in English ad's, I have never seen it in French for Pieper.

I can confirm that Beretta used the term, in Italian, in their catalogs.

Pete

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.