April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (ithaca1, Marks_21), 230 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,442
Posts544,771
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Boats Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Looking at a Restored Parker VHE. 1 1/2 Frame Mod & Full 28 inches. To be clear I am not a gun collector would use it for shooting SxS Clays. Looks nice outside well done no over polish sharp edges. Seller said the Remington Custom Shop did the work. Something about Remington today makes me cautious. Bores are so good I would like to measure the barrel's see if Pitts have been polished out. Seller, shop I know well, and has the gun on consignment has agreed.

Two questions, If I measure what wall thickness am I looking for. My LC Smith and Birmingham Double are .035 or a bit more. I passed on a polished out restored Parker last month that was .018 one spot only. Too thin for me. 2nd Question Is Remington custom shop a positive or negative. Gun is not cheap but not expensive either, seems to be priced as what it is, restored.

All opinions appreciated.

Boats

Sidelock
Sidelock

i wonder if they are confusing the Del Greco shop (founded by a family of former Parker then Remington employees) with Remington itself.

it was my impression the Remington shop works on upgrading current production guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just remember restored Parker shotguns have no collector value. So pay only what you would for a shooter. I'd much rather find a well worn gun that shows all its warts and nothing is hidden. Wall thickness: I start getting cautious with anything less than about .022 (personal opinion) and prefer more. Most Parkers were made with more thickness but I have seen several that were originally struck in spots as thin as .020. If they were trying to make a light upland gun they might strike them awfully thin. But if it is a heavier gun and has thin walls it has probably been honed.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Remington refinished Parkers when they bought (around 1934) the company. How recent was refinish? The barrels should have a weight on them. How close do the barrels weigh to the when they were original?

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

If it is the one I am thinking of look at picture 7. The ball doesn't fit the fences very well. The right barrel appears to be proud (by a lot) of the breech face.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KDGJ
How close do the barrels weigh to the when they were original?

Ken

The barrel weight stamping is before striking. An original set of barrels can weigh several ounces less than what's stamped on them.

Wild Skies
Since 1951
Boats Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Different gun. This one has only 2 pictures on line. Work is supposed to have been done in the new Remington shop, which sounds a bit strange I will admit.
Looks ok to me. Of course original would be better, it's priced under nice original price by about a third. Ejectors which I don't really need run things up. Be nice to have though.

I am going to measure wall thickness and chokes in person. 2nd look May change my mind. Thanks for the good advice

Boats

Sidelock
Sidelock

BTW It's DelGrego not DelGreco

Best Regards, George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Come on, George, get it right. It's Del Grego, not DelGrego. Your friend, Murphy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If the barrels don't match the breech balls, these barrels probably didn't come on this gun when it was new. The modern Remington custom shop isn't going to be working on any Parkers unless it is an inside favor. You're going to have to fess up and post pictures of this gun. It doesn't sound good. We don't buy guns from the information provided by two pictures.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.