Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#342004 10/18/13 08:25 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've been reading some old posts about reclaimed shot. I recently purchased a few bags of it and was starting to load it, but some of the posts have given me a bit of pause. I'm particularly curious about the idea of steel being in the lead.

I have no idea what percentage, if any, of steel is in this shot. For the sake of argument, I would assume very little. So if you have a steel pellet or two in a load with a plastic shot cup, what would be the concerns?

This stuff was $25/bag, and the local stores have shot currently at $50/bag, so there's incentive for me to shoot it, even though I'd rather shoot new stuff.

And in a second line of discussion - Any input on good pricing on new shot from the St. Louis, MO - Springfield, IL - If you are aware of any, please PM me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If your concern is steel pellets in the reclaimed shot. Here's a quick way to check.

Pour the bag of shot into an aluminum turkey roasting pan. Then run a strong magnet through the shot. If there are steel pellets the magnet will get them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Saw shot at a local gun shop here in north central WI for $40/bag yesterday. Cheapest I've seen it in some time.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you're loading reclaimed shot to save money, fuggetaboutit.

Just buy a Remington 870, shoot the stuff through that and worry not.

We'll all feel better.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The price I am being quoted on import shot is $35/bag, fob Houston, ton lot one size.

bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

A rare earth magnet will find all steel shot easily. Drop the magnet into a 3/4 full bottle of shot and shake it or roll it for a minute. Then pull the magnet out. If there is any steel shot in the bottle it will be stuck to the magnet. Repeat if needed but I never have needed to do it twice. Total number of steel pellets recovered to date is less than a dozen. In the real world the chances of that few number of pellets causing a real problem is remote. I have loaded about 200 pounds of reclaimed shot so far with no problems.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thx ky jon. That's what I thought, how could a pellet of steel in 200 of lead cause any issue.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm on my second ton of reloading reclaimed. Some like it some don't. I'll not trying to convince anyone to use it because there is always someone that will have differing opinion. I buy from one supplier that washes, polishes and regraphites. He also runs a magnet over it to remove any steel. Shot size is a combination of 7 1/2s&8's. I use it primarily for practice but have used it in tournaments with good success. Your mileage may vary. The last price I paid was a bit about a $1.08 a pound.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken, would you mind giving the suppliers name and location?

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe,

He usually posts on trapshooter.com as Leadminer.
He travels all across the US and I generally try to catch him when he's coming through Tulsa. I normally buy a ton bulk at a time.

Best,
Ken

Dodging lions and wasting time.....

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.