April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Birdog), 1,046 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What have you found to be the best product to waterproof your boots?

I'm talking about regularly having to walk through marshes, swamps etc. And please don't say rubber boots. I used them for a few years but I need the support a good pair of leather boots give.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Marc,

I don't think there is any miracle topical dressing that is 100% waterproof....so, here's the real deal IMO....

Danner Boots are top shelf leather, waterproofed and lined with Gor Tex and available in all styles, Vibram soles and so forth. Not cheap, but with the waterproof Gor Tex you can stand in the creek for as long as you like.

Danner uses 3M Thinsulate Insulation, the warmest thinnest insulation on the market. If you Mink Oil these boots annually or more often they will last years and years.

Danner has been making boots since 1932 and Danner has been using Gore Tex since 1979 when W.L. Gore invented the stuff.

Made entirely in the U.S.A., in Portland, Oregon.

Regards,

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've been using a product called Nor-V-Gen boot grease and it has been working great for me, seals the boots and lasts a lot longer than sno-seal. I use it on my buckskin gloves also it doesn't soak through and leaves a slightly tacky finish.

Last edited by oskar; 10/21/13 08:46 PM.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
Sidelock

What kind of boots? All leather or leather and cordura? Welted sole or glued sole? Claimed waterproof from the factory (good place to start)?

If you are in serious water without rubber boots, you might consider neoprene socks over your boot socks. Works for duck hunters, but you may need to size your boots accordingly. If you are buying new boots, I'd look at Danner, Filson, White, maybe something from L.L. Bean. You might also look at Nikwax products for waterproofing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PA24

Mark,

I don't think there is any miracle topical dressing that is 100% waterproof....so, here's the real deal IMO....

Danner Boots are top shelf leather, waterproofed and lined with Gor Tex and available in all styles, Vibram soles and so forth. Not cheap, but with the waterproof Gor Tex you can stand in the creek for as long as you like.

Danner uses 3M Thinsulate Insulation, the warmest thinnest insulation on the market. If you Mink Oil these boots annually or more often they will last years and years.

Danner has been making boots since 1932 and Danner has been using Gore Tex since 1979 when W.L. Gore invented the stuff.

Made entirely in the U.S.A., in Portland, Oregon.

Regards,

I thought some of the Danner products were now being outsourced? Am I wrong in this?

I'm a fan of snowseal. I've been using it for 30 years with great success. The trick is to get it well soaked into the leather. I use a blow dryer and lots of patience.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Picard's is the best boot dressing for all leathers. Also used it on my 1902 Westley Richards oak and leather case which was in bad shape until I gave it a coat of Picard's. Works great on gloves, belts, any kind of leather product except suede. Avoid silicone, it degrades leather. Ask the people at Russell boots (the best boots made in America although very expensive)about silicone.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Fishnfowler

I thought some of the Danner products were now being outsourced? Am I wrong in this?

You're only a phone call away, as is anybody,..the low end hiking boots are most likely outsourced. The lower the price, the lower the quality, nothing new about this marketing philosophy.

The high end all leather/Gor Tex Hunting and Work boots, Cork logging boots are all made in this country. At least the factory information cards that come with the boots say they are.....

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

For lighter upland hunting I use ECCO boots. But they are only 8 inches tall. For tall wet stuff, which is what you are talking/looking for, I use some high top (12 inches or taller) Filson boots - so far no problem with getting my feet wet.

BTW here is a link to the Danner website:
http://www.danner.com/boots/

Hundreds of Danner boots. Some are made in the USA and some are not.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I do not believe there really is a waterproof leather boot, sooner or later if submerged they all will end up leaking some.

I know russells are not waterproof, though I have had good luck with Gortex lined russells keeping my feet dry.

In terms of best compound to finish with I have been happy with Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP Leather Preservative. Earlier comments on silicone based products are correct, avoid them.

I have used Sno Seal in the paste and been happy with it as well.

I am probably a little overboard on boot care as it is the second thing I do after I get home. Order of march is: Dog, Boots, Bird, Gun, then other stuff. I clean and touch up my boots after about every hunt.

You can go to the Russell Moccason website for their description on proper leather care.

http://www.russellmoccasin.com/leather_care.html

On the subject of Rubber Boots there are high end rubber boots available that have the proper support construction. At the low end there are neoprene lined ones (I have a pair orvis sold me that I wear now and then) and I have seen the leather lined Chameau, but never could get up the nerve to spend that much on a rubber boot I might only wear three times a year. If you are in water a great deal then a high end rubber boot maybe a solution. If leather only is your view, go with a gortex lined boot.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd agree that if a boot is likely to leak, I wouldn't count on an outer dressing. My luck, five minutes out of the truck I get wet feet and grumble the rest of the day. I'd hope to figure out how much of a marsh it is, then plan for the worst. Sometimes it's hip boot or waders.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.