Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#342687 10/26/13 12:10 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Texas Quail season opened this morning. Amarillo Mike his son and I are hunting east of Amarillo. So far the dogs have pointed two or three covies of very healthy birds. Going to be a warm day and Mike is changing dogs right now while I sit in the shade of a tree. Age does have its privileges! Mike invited his son and I to go along so the dogs would have some dead birds to pick up.....

Update: Mike's car battery is dead and he did not bring jump cables. Why am I not surprised? Some way to treat his guests!

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe
Good to hear the quail are ok in the panhandle.

I think Mike may have brought you to push the car. Someday I'd like to hunt quail with you and Mike, but I can't push a car very far.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, got out of cell range so couldn't give minute by minute updates. After Mike walked to the ranch house and committed grand theft auto and jump cables we got his old dog wagon going again. Time to boot up the dogs and as you can see Molly takes every opportunity to pose for pictures.

Pretty soon the turd hounds actually stumbled across a covey and no one was more surprised than Mike. Taylor, His son, Taylor, connected on a nice cock bird with his 20 gauge AYA #1 (the blur between Taylor and the dog is the cock bird)

Had to keep truck running all day cause we didn't dare turn it off where we were. Things got a little quiet during the day but the dogs came to the rescue again and Mike actually connected on a bird with his 20 Parker A-1 Special (original).

Me? I shot my little Parker VH 16 on an 0 frame. Picked up a bob and also a unfortunate Eurasian dove that came wandering by.

It appears bird numbers have improved slightly over last years disaster but would rate poorly compared to four or five years ago. We ended in mid afternoon with three or four covies found. Weather was warm and a bit of wind. Fun day!

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Joe!!! Beautiful guns and dogs and great shooting!!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I noticed you only put shot in the bird's head. Nice trick.

Sidelock
Sidelock

First you had to teach shooting and now auto repairs to Mike. Sounds like your work is cut out for you. He should be glad he has such a patient friend to educate him. I can see he is your cross to bear. Beware if he needs you to talk with the dogs. Limits have to be placed somewhere.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You sure can't fault their taste in doubles though. And they look like a couple of guys that could care less about that Parker mystic and that hefty future value, heck with that crap, get the Parkers out and lets go huntin. smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Molly on point, Red backing:

A good size covey flushed.

One died, probably had a weak heart. Molly wouldn't bring it to Joe or Taylor as she knows they are bird claiming rascals so she brought it to me.

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 10/27/13 03:50 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Red is on point in the foreground left. You can barely see him. Molly is backing - looking over her shoulder

A nice covey flushed.

Joe won the argument with Taylor over who shot it.

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 10/27/13 04:44 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My exceedingly handsome son. Of course if you sow corn you get corn. He is 32 and has never bought shotgun shells in his entire life. Molly, 7, in the foreground. The red and white is Ginger, 3. Buddy is 2. All my bird dogs are French Brittanys.

Got to love those bird dogs!

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 10/27/13 04:03 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.