April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (WBLDon, Jem Finch, graybeardtmm3, bushveld), 1,110 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,140
Members14,409
Most Online1,271
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Pete Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here in the high desert of Central Oregon we are flooded with them both in town and out in the sticks. Here, they are an unprotected species (something like collared Asian dove)and it is open season on them. They are a bit larger than the Mourning dove and seem to act a lot like quail in foraging. They are much more numerous than Mourning doves ever were in this area. Sounds like they might be fun. How numerous are they in the rest of the country?

Sidelock
Sidelock

They have come into Illinois and Missouri in fair but not large numbers over the last 5 or so years. They seem to prefer the city life to the country life here and I see more in my yard than afield. I call them Eurasian collared doves. I hope they flood in here too and give some wingshooting opportunity. Not enough yet though.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you are talking about the Eurasian Collared Dove, they were not "introduced" so much as they migrated, but they are everywhere in the southwest. Never saw one until about ten years ago, and now there are reports of guys shooting 100 birds in a day. Somewhat unlike mourning doves and whitewings, the Eurasians seem to congregate in town and around habitated areas. Even out in the country, the Eurasions will be sitting in the trees and on the lines around farmhouses, while the mournings and whitewings will be roosting in the orchards and along the river banks. There is some speculation that they are interbreeding with other doves, and the two game wardens that I have discussed this with said that the "collar" on the neck will be the deciding factor if there is any question about whether you have a game or non-game bird in your vest. There is a lot of meat on these birds and they taste just like any other dove. Good burritos. If you can find them, they are relatively easy to shoot because of their slow, straight flight. Like pigeons, if you shoot and miss, they will often circle back to get to their favorite roost.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I saw the first ones here in Nebraska about 6 years ago. I had never heard of them, but the fellow whose yard they flew into knew what they were. Same story, they like town and buildings better than out in the country. My grandson and I were dove hunting in the sandhills of Nebraska this fall, and he shot two in a single shot. They are about half again as big as a mourning dove.
If the regulations are still in effect, the season is from January 1 through December 31. There are getting to be more and more of them.
Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE

Sam Ogle
Sidelock
Sidelock

Large numbers in the Texas Panhandle. But, as mentioned, they are primarily a town bird but some do travel out to nearby fields to feed. They can take a lot of lead and I have been having great success using #6 shot.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

My take on the collared doves is that eventually they will become a big time agricultural pest in North America, and a maybe like it was when I lived in South Africa--farmers will furnish shot shell if the dove shooters will come and shoot Rock pigeons and doves in his fields.

Bv

Sidelock
Sidelock

Plenty of them in Arizona, have to ping them with BB gun to keep them off my bird feeders. I think they are pushing out the mourning doves and pigeons too. I have eaten a few of them, same as the other doves. The season is year round with no limit. We have welcome mats out with some of the dairy farmers around here, for those of us they know, to shoot Collared and Pigeons anytime. No question they will be a blight on agriculture soon. Easier to hit than Mourning Doves with slower flight and few evasive maneuvers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been reluctant to shoot them because they seem to be such an "innocent" bird. I know it's dumb. Just my take on them.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My experience is that they are bigger by about 30-50% and the meat is slightly lighter as well as being milder flavored. A much better eating meat.

Sidelock
Sidelock

eurasian

mourning

white wing

Inca

For a complete list...
http://www.diamonddove.info/bird15%20NA%20Doves.htm

Pete

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.