May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Roundsworth, eeb, Jusanothajoe, Hal M Hare, ithaca1), 752 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,498
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#343190 10/31/13 12:21 PM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Picked up this shotgun at an auction was not familiar with Baker's, just thought it was a clean old gun and the price was right. Barrels are not Damascus, lock up is tight. Serial number is 4 digit, with an "F" behind it. Which from what I've been able to find out indicates it was made between 1919 & 1923. Can't find anything on the gun that indicates what the choke is on the 28" barrels, but they mic .730 at the end of the bores. A lot of the case hardening that was on the receiver is worn to silver, bluing is about 90% and bores are bright and mirror like. Wood is in excellant shape, no chips or cracks, an after market recoil pad has been added, and the grip cap looks original
My questions are, is this safe to shoot with moderate loads, and about what is this gun worth. Any comments would be appreciated.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Where I am a field grade Baker is worth around $500.00 if in fairly decent condition. Much less if condition drops.

Last edited by gunsaholic; 10/31/13 12:37 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

mnmarcus,

Welcome on your first posting

Have fun with this site

http://www.bakercollectors.com/

After you have had the barrel thichness measured and the
gun properly evaluated by a double barrel gunsmith,
I would suggest this ammo to be kind to the old wood.
http://www.rstshells.com/rst_classic_shotshells_shotshells.htm

Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 10/31/13 01:48 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Batavia guns were the low priced or "field grade" models of the Baker Gun & Forging Co. To reduce costs the Batavia line did not have the "firing pin block safety" or the "draw block" which passes transversely through the barrel lug and mates into recesses in the frame, of the graded Baker hammerless guns and the Model 1897 hammer gun. After WW-I with the rise of repeaters Baker sold their gun business to H&D Folsom Arms Co. a major marketer, manufacturer and importer of low priced guns. Folsom added the 20-gauge to the Baker line that they produced. Folsom-made Baker guns normally have an F before or after the serial number. In the very last Baker ads that I've found in old sporting magazines from April and May 1928, and October 1929, Folsom also offered a 410-bore Batavia Leader, though I've never seen one.

During the Baker Gun & Forging Co. days there were several variations of the lower priced "Batavia" line. From a 1909 copy of The Baker Gunner -- The Batavia Leader had twist barrels and listed at $25 -- The Batavia Special had steel barrels and listed at $21.75 -- The Batavia Damascus had Damascus barrels and listed at $28 -- and, finally the Batavia Brush had 26-inch twist barrels and a straight-grip stock listing at $24 and offered swivels and a sling as an option for $3. There was also a Batavia Ejector that listed at $35 with steel barrels and $37.50 with Damascus barrels. About 1915 Baker Gun & Forging Co. discontinued all these "Batavia" models and replaced them with the Black Beauty and the Black Beauty Special. In 1919 Baker sold out their gun business to H&D Folsom. H & D Folsom revived the Batavia Leader name but with steel barrels like the old Batavia Special.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks for the information guys. Looks like this was a Folsom made gun, with the "F" after the s/n. Mike, wouldn't some low base game or trap loads ( 3 Dram 1oz) be low enough pressure?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pressure is one thing, hidden defects are another.
Check it out and you will not always be counting your
fingers

Have you verified your chamber length?

Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 10/31/13 11:43 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Assuming the barrels are in sound condition I don't really think pressure is going to be your main concern. Some of the 1 oz loads in order to ensure they will reliably "Kick" any autoloader action they may be put in have a rather sharp recoil. This is not necessarily good for 90+ year old wood & particularly in a side lock. Most of the 1 oz loads I see today are 3Ľ-1 & these seem to have a particularly sharp recoil. If you can get an honest 3-1 or better yet a 2 3/4-1 load you should be good.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Winchester Xtra Lite is only about 8000 psi 2 3/4 dr. 1 0z. Some shoot them in their Elsies.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Chamber length looks to be about 2.63. A 3" shell will drop right in ( not that I would shoot one, just checking chamber depth) Both bores are mirror like, but the right barrel seems to have some lines running parallel with the bore for about 6" past the chamber. Don't clean out with bore cleaner, almost looks like plastic smears from wads. Have some older Federal low base game loads, 2 3/4 dram 1oz that I might have to try

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Any one know of any gunsmiths in the Minneapolis area that are good with older shotguns?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.