April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (graybeardtmm3, Upland 28, welder, Licensed to kill), 1,177 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,140
Members14,409
Most Online1,271
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#343584 11/04/13 12:31 AM
xausa Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My Mauser 77 .243 Winchester came with a set of AKAH pivot mount (Schwenkmontage) rings and bases already installed. I used them to mount a Leupold Vari-X III 2-7X scope and yesterday I tried to sight it in.

Up to a point I had no trouble, but after bringing the point of impact to about three inches high and three inches right at 50 yards, I found that I had run out of adjustment with both the windage and elevation.

The mount has a provision for altering the windage in the rear ring, and from what I could read on the AKAH web site, there is some built in elevation adjustment in the front ring, but I haven't been able to determine how to use it. Can anyone enlighten me or direct me to a user's guide on the AKAH web site?

xausa #343592 11/04/13 07:05 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill, there is no elevation adjustment in the front ring of a German pivot mount, the function of the adjustment screws there is secondary only. A photo of the rear base and ring on your mount would be helpful, as there are several types of pivot mount. AKAH is a wholesaler, they had never made a pivot mount themselves. The most common types are the original EAW, with a small locking lever in the rear base, and the Blaser/Recknagel one that locks by a turning a ring on the rear ring. On the EAW type crude elevation adjustment = aligning the scope on the rifle is done by exchanging the block under the rear ring, the thing with the T-shaped lock underneath and the windage adjustment screws on top. These blocks come in heights from 3.5 to 14.5 mm in 1/2 mm increments. You need a block about .5 or one millimeter lower than the one you now have. If you have the ring-locking Blaser/Recknagel type, you have to diassemble the rear ring by removing the big screw that goes in from below. You now have the ring proper, the locking assembly and a thick spacing pillar in between. this pillar has to be reduced in heigth in your case, either by lathe turning or by careful filing. Only after the rear ring assembly is of the proper height, the front ring adjustment comes into play: It now allows the scope to be tilted up and down, so there is no strain on the tube when mounted on a rear ring of different height.

kuduae #343616 11/04/13 11:26 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill,
Of course Axel is correct, but you might find it easier to place a shim under the front base.You could scrape(or mill)the bottom of the rear base to height if you didn't want to see a shim,but this might be more work than Axel's method.
Mike

xausa Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mike

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have already discussed the situation with Mark Cromwell at New England Custom Guns, and he is sending me the correct size insert block to allow the elevation change.

Bill

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.