April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (NCTarheel, buckstix, ClapperZapper, CJF, LeFusil, 1 invisible), 1,005 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,476
Posts545,185
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Jimmy W Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was just wondering if any of you guys were Pheasants Forever members. I joined last fall and got my first magazine this week. They have a great show on the outdoor channel, too. Any memebers on here?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Count me Jimmy, I've been a member since the organization was born in 1982.

I am a Rooster Booster.

Boxlock
Boxlock

I was a member for several years, then greed took over at Pheasants Forever and they started into the Quail program which they knew nothing about. Strictly after the money and I dropped out but retained membership in Quail Unlimited. I continue to watch them and see that greed still runs rampant there so I'll continue to not support them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

PF money raised locally is spent locally. This has been a successful model for creating and protecting habitat. Extending this approach to work on quail habitat seems practical to me if doing so can produce similar results. Has QU's approach built a similarly active membership with comparable habitat results?

National org and lobbying might be different, but from what I can see they get results from my money.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Has QU's approach built a similarly active membership with comparable habitat results?"

No............! They care only of there celebrity hunts and field trials!

PF has one of the highest ratios of money raised to money into the habitat of any of the conservation organizations.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not quite sure what 28 Bore means either, unless it concerns a specific chapter. In PF, everything a chapter raises remains with the chapter and is spent on local, grass roots habitat work. The only money National gets comes from dues or their own fundraising. They don't rely on local chapters to support a bloated, top heavy organization. They've got over 100 chapters in Iowa alone (more chapters than there are counties!)

One of the best comments I ever heard about PF came on a local radio station that was doing a call-in program on bird watching. Two Audubon guys were answering questions. A caller asked about Audubon's stand on hunting, to which one of the guys responded that although Audubon Society doesn't take an official position, and although he was not a hunter himself, he was on the banquet committee of the local PF chapter. The host of the show, a bit taken aback, asked the Audubon member why he belonged to a hunting organization if he wasn't a hunter himself. "Because they do the best local habitat work of any of the conservation groups, bar none," he replied.

I don't know that much about either Quail Unlimited or PF's new offshoot, Quail Forever. However, I do know that a lot of quail hunters have been disappointed with QU's work, and quite a few QF chapters seem to be springing up. And I've also known QF's lead biologist, Jim Wooley, for close to 30 years--and I know that he's very dedicated to wildlife and habitat work.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry, unfortunately not everything remains with the chapter - a goodly chunk? Yes. But all? No. PF chapters keep a the majority of their "take" but they have to kick back to National every year.

Larry, you should also know the the founder of the long-established Duck Unlimited chapter here on campus was not a hunter either, but he was an Audubon member. Jim Dinsmore did more for hunting than 99.9% of the folks who actually hunt. That would include me as well. I'm sure you have been a number of the banquets he organized with hunting and non-hunting students every year. That tradition still continues, although Jim has retired to Florida.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Although I'm not a PF member, a very good friend and hunting partner for 30 some years is! He owns a small 10 acre plot in what was once some of the best pheasant country in South Idaho, and does his best to provide good cover and food plots on his ground. According to him, the local PF chapter has been extremely helpful in helping to cost share his seed purchases, and invaluable with their consultation on the best mix of cover and food types.

Cameron Hughes
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.