May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Wild Skies, 2 invisible), 697 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,497
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

David,

The receivers were already numbered, but not completed. Completed WIP inventory was shipped out first thing, then the first 'S' guns were completed in March of 1946.

The barrels were not made under Hunter supervision, this is why there is only one signature line on the barrels, after the start up in January of 1946 on existing WIP.

I have had several of these transition guns starting in the serial 202,900 range. The new L.C. Smith Gun Company took the WIP (work in process) and trickled them into production here and there for several YEARS, for obvious reasons, building the barrels and finishing the guns as they went along.

This is why it took them 3 years to dispose of the WIP, which was very small in comparison to the number of guns that Marlin was producing at the time.....

Chaz's gun has a serial of 205,7XX, very near the END of the WIP production, and therefore was most likely made in 1947, quite some time after Hunter was making anything.....So I disagree with you that his gun was made by Hunter, probably only the unfinished receiver.....

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wrong again Doug

The serial number range from 205700 to 205799 contains 44 20 gauges. All of them were finished in 1946.
Jim Stubbendieck

A Research Letter would provide additional information
http://www.lcsmith.org/shotguns/researchdivision.html

"If a buyer at a gun show wanted to call during daylight hours, as an example, and find out the factory barrel length ONLY of a specific L.C., Folsom, Hunter Special before buying said gun your contributors would be available..."
You are aware that the LCSCA is an all volunteer organization? Please join and assume that responsibility, or help recruit additional members who are willing to do so.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause

The serial number range from 205700 to 205799 contains 44 20 gauges. All of them were finished in 1946.
Jim Stubbendieck

"If a buyer at a gun show wanted to call during daylight hours, as an example, and find out the factory barrel length ONLY of a specific L.C., Folsom, Hunter Special before buying said gun your contributors would be available..."
You are aware that the LCSCA is an all volunteer organization? Please join and assume that responsibility, or help recruit additional members who are willing to do so.

YOU ASKED WHAT YOU COULD DO TO MAKE IT BETTER AS A CONTRIBUTOR......I responded to that request.......now you just come back with more "chatter/double talk".........so no progress as I see it. Volunteer group, yes, you don't have to be Dick Tracy to figure that one out.....

Chaz tried your simple record check and found zero, now you come back with Stubbendick information that he could not find on his initial search...........why is that....?

I do not see anything now or in the past that would encourage me to ever join your volunteer group.....no thanks.....

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Why are you so angry Doug? You obviously appreciate Smith guns, and have knowledge that you could share. Why not join and work to make the LCSCA better? Come to the Annual Meeting, express your opinions, and enjoy The Southern? Or work with Dr Jim and write a "Smith Gun Identification & Serialization" book?
I can't speak for Dr Jim, but he is in a difficult position. Why should he provide information to posters of the Forum, for free, when others have paid for a Research letter; information for which Cody also requires membership or a fee?

Sidelock
Sidelock

It makes sense to me that Marlin would want to get these guns completed and out the door. Making about 10,000 guns a year it would take less than than two months. Plus, how many barrels in the white did Hunter have at the sellout? With 1300 receivers I would say quite a few.

Last edited by 2holer; 11/16/13 10:43 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

PA24,
Since you have identified yourself as the "New Star on the Horizon" when it comes to L C Smiths, I suggest that you give your phone number here so that all could take advantage of your vast knowledge, thereby avoiding costs associated with ordering letters from the LCSCA/ Cody.
The OP posed this question on the Smith forum as well, and has been answered in a timely fashion by our Records Keeper and---guess what-- the information was free !
BTW, try to get an answer to a question about a Fox, Parker, Lefever, etc with a phone call. It isn't going to happen because they are volunteer associations also!
It's a shame that individuals like yourself and the "Smith Guru" from CAL go out of their way to discredit the efforts of a few who truly want to help collectors with questions. I suggest that you go to lcsmith.org and read the header on the Home Page. Perhaps you'll rethink your attitude----

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
Why are you so angry Doug? You obviously appreciate Smith guns, and have knowledge that you could share. Why not join and work to make the LCSCA better? Come to the Annual Meeting, express your opinions, and enjoy The Southern? Or work with Dr Jim and write a "Smith Gun Identification & Serialization" book?
I can't speak for Dr Jim, but he is in a difficult position. Why should he provide information to posters of the Forum, for free, when others have paid for a Research letter; information for which Cody also requires membership or a fee?

Wrong again Drew.

Interesting that your comprehension skills do not allow you to read the posts as they progress and grip what is being said.

1. Nobody ever suggested free information, just the opposite, a fee schedule for partial information I think was the term.

2. Your website shows basic years of production for L.C. Smith produced guns, EXCEPT the WIP serial number gun sequence shown on a previous post. Again, the question is, why is that.....?.....Inaccurate serial number information on your web site....?....An oversight....?.....Don't Care....?.....Too busy with a day job.....?.....

3. I did not initiate this thread, merely responded to it indicating this mans serial number does indeed exist and posted FACTS, then listened to you and your club cronies dive in with some facts and some b.s.....

4. You folks go on and on about the accuracy and informative nature of your organization that you are so proud of, yet such a simple oversight was brought out by this thread......and you still don't appear to understand what the initial posters request was....i.e., your web site showed his serial number did not exist for whatever reason.........

I am a member of the Cody Museum and appreciate their professionalism and wealth of factual knowledge and suggest anyone who needs L.C. Smith information contact the Cody Firearms Museum.

As Wonko says, 'Have a Day'.......

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doug, since you say you have owned a number of these guns, do you have a Cody letter on one completed in 1947-48? If so would you give the serial number?

Just one of the cronies. smirk

Last edited by 2holer; 11/16/13 11:45 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

"That is the problem with the so called L.C. Smith site, not very informative, in my honest opinion..."

The editorial comments started with you Doug. And yes, I am very appreciative of the hard work Dr Jim, Tom Archer, and others have put into the LCSCA site, and would like it to be better.
Still not sure why you are so hostile to the organization. Supporting the Cody Museum and the LCSCA are not mutually exclusive.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.