May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Ian Forrester, Wild Skies), 347 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,520
Posts545,735
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I posted this on another site and quickly realized I was at the wrong place. Maybe someone can help here with some info on this old Parker.

In October, I was driving out from MN to Hershey PA for an old car swap meet. I stopped at a friends to see his car collection. I mentioned that I'd developed a real passion for old Beretta SXS guns and he asked what I knew about Parkers. I said, almost nothing. So he took me to his little gun room and opened this wooden box with a neat brass key and pulled out this hammer gun which belonged to his grandfather. (my friend is about 80). Anyway, the gun is not for sale, and I'm just posting here because the wood box and odd break open feature ahead of trigger guard, and sliding tab on the fore stock was different than anything I'd ever seen. The S/N is 11045 and matches on all the parts.

I'm quite sure it's not for sale, but would really appreciate comments that I can pass on to him about the age/grade etc.

All I had was my phone along to take photos, but I could probably have him email me photos of any other features which people would be interested in seeing.

Personally, I thought that the box with holes for shells was as interesting as the gun.

[img]http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s389/gloftness/IMG_1436_zps35a831d8.jpg[/img]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Last edited by skeettx; 11/21/13 09:41 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

very cool old parker field grade lifter hammer gun, made around 1878. and the case is really cool!

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

"0" grade lifter with twist steel barrels, left Parker factory late 1877 with 28" barrels and a pistolgrip stock. The case looks original and is worth @ what the entry level guns is if not more. VERY nice condition and should not be messed with other than have a competent smith give her a once over for shooting safely and use RST 2 1/2" light loads in her and enjoy. Best of luck, Jim DiSpagno

Sidelock
Sidelock

that is a very nice set, The lifter was a great looking action, the 3 lb 12 oz barrel weight marks should mean its a relatively light gun for its day. with no trace of color under the forearm, I wonder if this is one of those that was never browned, some dollar grade (early 0 grades) only had the barrels lightly etched to show the pattern.

if the inside of the tubes is near as good as the outside, I hope your elderly friend has a family member that will appreciate it and see it used again.

That gun would have been in the $50 range then, the pistol grip was an $5 option. The case was an extra $10 and the brass shells to fill those holes were $2 a dozen. so your friends ancestor spent at least $70 for his pride and joy, about the same as a school teacher made in a year, half a years salary for a factory worker who made about $8 a month. Not a decision that was taken lightly I am sure

just too cool, thank you for sharing the pictures

Last edited by OH Osthaus; 11/22/13 08:32 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.