Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

Morning Chief: I must be running slow this AM (it's 8 degrees outside). I know what an RBL is, along with the rest of your acronyms, but what is an RGL?

Last edited by Lloyd3; 12/04/13 10:14 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes it is true a niche group is hunting 12 less, but they are the exception.

For very limited market niches smaller gauges will dominate in the short term. However it is unlikely that 16 will make a major comeback no matter how good it is and how much I love it.

For older guys buying lighter, newer made guns 20 will dominate, with 28 probably beating out 16.

This is a niche market as 12 will continue to beat out the other gauges in both use in the field and volume of shells in the market.

I have hunted mostly 16 since I was a kid. I flirted with my grandfather's duck guns in Alaska back in the 80's, but found I preferred my Fox Sterlingworth more. A year ago I would have argued against sticking with 12 gauge as it was heavier than you have to be.

I would have been wrong. Arguments in favor of the 12 gauge are both valid and some are already listed in previous posts.

1. The Ammo is everywhere
2. The commonality of the guns means you don't have to pay a premium to buy it.
3. As the Run with the Fox noted Most of the shooting greats used 12 gauge.
4. 12 handles non-toxic loads better than smaller gauges (plus they are cheaper in 12)

#3 is an important point that should be dwelled on a bit. Our predecessors were not fools who used just whatever was available and went at it. They had access to many choices. Life experience of thousands of hunters and shooters came to common solutions because they worked.

It never ceases to amaze me when I hear someone simply state that some new way or idea is better without considering the old one just did not appear, it evolved through the experience of our ancestors. The two parent family was not an accident, but the result of generations of life experience at what was the most effective means. This is true in a small part with the 12 gauge.

If you want a very light 12 you can find it. Just don't shoot the wrong loads in it.

Part of my recent mind expanding back into 12 has been my purchase and restoration of a 12 that matched a 6lb 16 SLE I already had. I have discovered I really enjoy shooting the 7lb 12ga and it is very effective (9 of 10 on two hunts). I have no doubt that it will be my duck gun and I will carry it in the uplands a little bit too. While it felt like I was looking across the deck of a carrier the first time I went to shoot it, the width of the barrels does not seem so big now.

Moving on to my 4th point on non-toxic loads. The greater volume of the shell makes the non-toxic load a technically easier thing to work. Moreover the commonality of the gauge keeps the price of the shells down. I believe that the trend in the future is toward more and more restrictions on lead. Whether invalid or not they will get us. This means that the challenge of shooting the smaller gauges will continue to get more expensive and less effective ballistics. I realize that the volume of production that changes in the law would drive will lessen the difference in cost. I honestly believe in the long haul (50 years plus) anything smaller than 20 will become very limited to unused.

None of this means I have converted to 12 gauge, I am still a 16 ga man for most work. I am simply more accepting of 12 now than when I was younger and more narrow-minded.

Last edited by old colonel; 12/04/13 10:22 AM.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

My go to gun is a 6 lb 4 oz sxs 28" 12. IMO, the 12 can beat any other gauge at their own game shooting the smaller gauge loads.

Last edited by 2holer; 12/04/13 10:28 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I much prefer the light ten to any of the other choices.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Lloyd,

RGL is the Ruger Gold Label. Usually around 6.5 to 7 pounds. They were a flash in the pan I'm afraid.

Gotta get going!

Chief

Sidelock
Sidelock

I knew when I stuck my oar in these waters that it would stir things up (it's a reading thing). The 12 is, without question, the most effective and the most cost-efficient (in terms of use, ammo cost, and availability) gauge available. Period. Sadly, there isn't a glut of very light 12s, just the more pedestrian stuff. If you must have only one gun, then the 12 is the obvious choice. If, however, you have the option of shooting something other than an 870 pump, you will likely look for something a bit more refined in terms of overall weight and balence. This is why the current makers of better quality doubleguns aren't making (and then selling) many 12s.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 12/04/13 11:09 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have always used smallbores.20 gauge mostly but the older I get the smaller gauge I use.Plan to shoot 410 W.Richards next week for woodcock if I can find any in Georgia. Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
there was no market for selling high end 12 gauge double guns for hunting.

Most guys who want a "high end" (spelled e-x-p-e-n-s-i-v-e) double for hunting generally already have a safe full of 12s from their earlier years. Suspect they are looking for something different.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"It's made for the North American market," my nephew was told of the new 12ga Beretta Parallelo in a Rome gun store last month.

I don't know what was meant: we're a niche market or we'll buy anything new. One would think a 500-year-old company knows what it's doing.

Knowledgeable discussions in several Rome stores left my nephew with the impression that the Silver Pigeon 1 is a better bet.

I'll probably buy one because it will handle safely what I'd hesitate to use in my older guns, particularly the American classics.

Last edited by King Brown; 12/04/13 11:55 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a few 12ga guns. My Beretta 12ga Ultralite is a pretty easy gun to carry. I have others I would use in grouse woods, but it sure would come along on my next trip to Iowa or SD.

Last edited by Erik W; 12/04/13 12:28 PM.

A Springer Spaniel, a 6# double and a fair day to hunt.
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.