April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (SKB, Ian Forrester, Lloyd3, Jimmy W, Hammergun, gasgunner), 448 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,101
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
gwsmith Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was strictly referring to hunting or field guns in the original post - I'm well aware than 12 gauge target guns sell well. But from talking to a few folks in the business - the market for new SxS or O/U guns in field configuration over $10.000 or so is very poor. I understand and agree to some extent with many of the reasons given but it still surprises me. I guess by the time in life most folks are able to afford contemplating the purchase of a gun like this they prefer small gauges - but I'd still take the 12.

Sidelock
Sidelock

We who populate this board are a niche in ourselves. I never ceased to be amazed how often I see nice 16s being used well in the field. THis is a place where many appreciate the edges.

That said outside of our niche crew I know of noone in my area who hunts a 16 save me. Almost all hunt 12's, a few 20s and a single man who uses a 28. He and I are the odd ducks.

That said I am the only one in our crew who shoots a SxS, all others a O/U or autoloader.

I believe that it maybe true as a group we lean to the smaller bores in our old age, but that is not because 12's are not valued. All of us already have them and we are adding small bores to fill niches we do not already have filled.

As funny as it sounds I think I will actually use a 12 more in the next month than my 16 (mainly because my son insists on using my best 16 and I am happy for the 2LT to get up and go out with me).

Long term I will use the 16 most of the time and still love my 12 on the side.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Certain 12ga guns sell very well. One is Remington 870 Wingmaster with Light Contour barrel. Remington sells every one they can make. That is not surprising as Wingmaster Super Magnum (most out there are standard receiver models that can take up to 3" shell) can handle 2.5, 2&3/4, 3 and 3.5 inch shells and comes in at about 6&3/4lb with surprisingly good balance.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This wasn't a challenge of the 12 ga cartridge sales nor whether Rem 870s or Mossberg 500s or vintage sxs' sold well in 12 ga.

The original statement suggested a particular maker of bespoke and special order fine sxs doubles didn't believe their market purchased enough 12 ga guns to bother offering them.

So lets steer the discussion to make it more relevant to the original statement. ...

1. How many NEW sxs guns have you purchased in the past 10 years?
2. How many were 12 ga?

I'll start.
1. 00
2. 00

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
Certain 12ga guns sell very well. One is Remington 870 Wingmaster with Light Contour barrel. Remington sells every one they can make. That is not surprising as Wingmaster Super Magnum (most out there are standard receiver models that can take up to 3" shell) can handle 2.5, 2&3/4, 3 and 3.5 inch shells and comes in at about 6&3/4lb with surprisingly good balance.
Got a news flash gor you, Oh Hunt Master- you shoot a 3.5" 12 gauge Mag shell in ANY 6& 3/4 lb. shotgun, you will feel like you went 15 rounds with Mike Tyson on a day when he was really pissed off-

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
Got a news flash gor you, Oh Hunt Master- you shoot a 3.5" 12 gauge Mag shell in ANY 6& 3/4 lb. shotgun, you will feel like you went 15 rounds with Mike Tyson on a day when he was really pissed off-

Too many fillings must have fallen out as Remington no longer offers light shinny Wingmaster with SuperMag receiver and only heavy barreled Express remains in the lineup. They are using Light Contour 26" and 28" barrels with 3.5" chambers on standard length receivers so shooters don't hurst themselves.
The Wingmaster SuperMag was impulse buy for me as these are quite surprisingly rarely seen on second-hand market.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chuck H
The original statement suggested a particular maker of bespoke and special order fine sxs doubles didn't believe their market purchased enough 12 ga guns to bother offering them.

This is exactly what prompted me to make this post. The company was a relatively well known gun maker from continental Europe.

I've ordered 2 new SxS's in the last 10 years - and 1 was a 12 gauge. I've also purchased a Model 21 12 gauge (used) in the last 10 years.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck H, is dead right for many of us, I have never brought a "new" doublegun of any gauge. Every gun I have purchased was used by someone before. My newest doublegun is a 1926 Double Rifle.

1. 00
2. 00

The reason is simple, more gun for the dollar buying older used. That said, a newer gun has many advantages that I am passing on such as better steel (ability to handle non-toxics) and in some case better computer driven parts fit, and possible made to measure for me instead of modified to fit mean.

All said I will stick with my older beater guns. They are more like me, old, worn, tired, but still kicking.

Last edited by old colonel; 12/05/13 09:36 AM.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

I will contribute to Chuck's poll,

One SxS, 16 ga.

If said maker offered a 7 pound or so 12 ga SxS for 4K or less I would wager they would sell every one they made. Reference the 12 ga RBL on the 16 ga frame vs. the 12 ga. regular frame.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: old colonel
Chuck H, is dead right for many of us, I have never brought a "new" doublegun of any gauge. Every gun I have purchased was used by someone before. My newest doublegun is a 1926 Double Rifle.

1. 00
2. 00

The reason is simple, more gun for the dollar buying older used. That said, a newer gun has many advantages that I am passing on such as better steel (ability to handle non-toxics) and in some case better computer driven parts fit, and possible made to measure for me instead of modified to fit mean.

All said I will stick with my older beater guns. They are more like me, old, worn, tired, but still kicking.

I have to agree:
My newest double was made prior to WW II which is before I was born. With 6 figure pricing for a new example from Great Britain purchasing a new one is very unlikely.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.