April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Argo44, bushveld, earlyriser, 1 invisible), 1,200 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,145
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Now we need to let you know that these beasts are like potato chips.... You can't have just one!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hank, it sounds like you are doing your homework and on the right track. Fun, isn't it?

Now for the blasphemy. Both of my A. Henry .450BPE doubles just love garden variety Hornady 300 grain HP bullets loaded nitro-for-black using H4198 and backer rod wadding. What a killer!

Curl

P.S. Another member here has a Henry .450 double that loves them too! Cannot be a fluke.

Last edited by CptCurl; 01/04/14 09:53 AM. Reason: Added P.S.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HankG
Hi CptCurl. Thanks for the reply. I've read your article a couple times at least in the last few weeks. Very helpful and fun to read. And,I especially liked the paper patch manufacturing part. My wife's got the same cutter so I'm good to go.

Hank, you got it. Mass production of patches rather than cutting one-by-one is the entire point of my article. I hope you find it helpful.

Curl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Capt. Curl,

Not a fluke at all, Purdeys and H&H's like em too. The .450 BPE is by far the easiest express to load for. Don't even try with PP and black unless you really want too. The thin jacketed bullets are real easy on rifling, not like that erosive paper, and the pressure generated by the 4198 load are considerably less than that generated by black. See Grahem Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" for pressures of many loads.

It is hard to get enough velocity with modern black for the barrels to regulate. Nitro for black is the way to go!

Best,

Mal

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mal,

Oh, I wasn't saying success with a modern bullet and modern powder was a fluke. I think it a common practice.

I simply didn't want to discourage Hank, who seems to want the traditional experience of smoke and fire.

One thing I didn't mention is the availability of a very reasonably priced bonded bullet by Speer, its 300 grain .45 bullet. If I had bears on the tag I would substitute this bullet for the Hornady.

By the way, it's been just over a year since we last communicated. That was in regard to Julia's October 2012 auction and the little Rigby single shot rifle you had listed. I bought the rifle and made some really interesting findings about it, all of which I documented here:

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat....8&fpart=all

The caliber was a mystery I finally unraveled (with help). I would be interested to know your thoughts should you take the time to read that thread and my posts in their entirety.

Best,
Roscoe
"Curl"

Sidelock
Sidelock

Cpt Curl,

I'm very happy that the Rigby worked out for you. It is a very fine rifle. I will keep your story in mind for the next time a "strange" cartridge comes up. What threw me was the very thick rim. Without a lot of experience with early American calibers, I just never thought! Have you tried for a letter recently? I think Steve Helsley is providing them now.

There is a good looking Rigby double percussion rifle comming up in March if you want to burn some black. It is in its original case with mold, bores mint. I just cataloged it yesterday, so I don't think it will be on the web until the catalog comes out. I do believe it will be going to Vegas.

Best,

Mal

Last edited by Mal Mac Gregor; 01/05/14 10:33 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mal,

I'll be in Vegas. Maybe see you there.

Best,
Curl

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.