May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (earlyriser), 718 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,509
Posts545,638
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#351352 01/03/14 11:51 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am the one who sent the e-mail concerning the Renato Gamba Edinburgh Match and the Rottweil Model 72 Super Trap that Cabela's has for sale for $949.99 and $749.99. I appreciate your comments. I neglected to inform you that I have a budget of $1600 to cover the cost of an over and under for trap shooting. I am looking at Brownings (Superposed and Citoris, I know about the salt cured wood problem Browning had), Berettas, Weatherby Orion and Regency, and Winchester 101. Based upon what you said, I am looking at what I mentioned in my previous sentence. Please provide me with any pros and cons that you have.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Since you are looking for a trap gun on a budget, condition and a supply of reasonably priced parts is of real importance. Trap shooters typically shoot 5 to 20 K rounds a year, which adds right up (which is why Perazzis and Kreighoffs are so popular in the sport). So, you'll want to be shooting a lot, and whoever owned the gun before you was probably shooting the gun a lot. I would be very cautious of whatever Cabelas is selling for under a grand, it has surely been ridden hard. Personally, I would look for a little used Citori, and second a little used Weatherby. Beyond that, I would look for a solid double that the shooter used for doubles trap pretty exclusively (or intended to use for doubles but usually didn't for one reason or another). At that point it becomes the gun, much more than the brand.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's a 682 Beretta Trap gun for $1600. That'd be my choice over the other guns mentioned.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/BERETTA-O-U-682-Trap.cfm?gun_id=100365333

Sidelock
Sidelock

Call me I have two buddies that both bought trap guns and bought another one and want to sell browning XT they both have around $2000 in the guns 662x378x6169xxxcell
Monty

monty
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Many thanks for your replies. As per what you said, I am looking at a Browning Superposed Trap Gun. Guns International has it listed id 10013964 for $1595. I have looked at the Beretta you listed, along with a 680 that Paul Crosnoe has for $1650. Guns International 100381791. I am not a serious trap shooter, but I want a gun that I know will not fail. The Berettas and Brownings have been around long enough to have established their reputations. I used to work for Galyan's Sporting Goods and we sold the Browning Citoris and Beretta over and unders. Both, nice guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Colin,

Take a look at this. I shot one like this for several years at registered sporting clays, and only sold it because I got a great deal on a Perazzi. This is the most under-rated O/U on the market, IMO. The workmanship is second to no machine made gun. The tolerances were held so tight by Valmet that every barrel set I've ever seen would interchange with every other receiver, without tedious fitting, and I've seen a lot of them. Exact same lockup as on a Krieghoff and Remington 32. Can be totally tight and on face with the top lever left of center.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=385641908

I sold mine for $1200, as I recall, with a complete set of aftermarket chokes, but it was in a little bit better condition than this.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 01/03/14 08:44 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would pass on the Valmont I am a half ass trap shooter I have been shooting since 2007 but have done it for six years and have yet to see a Valmont.If you buy a Browning or Beretta you will get your money back....... if you don't over pay!I can help you with trap guns if you call me in your price range..... And no I do not have one to sell but I am happy to help you..... but if you don't want my help that's ok too.
Happy New year

monty
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you don't shoot the doubles event, there is nothing wrong with a Winchester model 12 (except you will get funny looks from younger shooters)They've won many championships and stand up to a lot of shooting. Having plugged my favorite trap gun, I would go with the Beretta.

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

superposed brownings are tough to add chokes.i would look for a gun with separate chokes.i like Beretta,i shoot a k32 and a superposed.when not shooting my sxs.mc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Max the budget and get the nicest Beretta 682 or Citori that money will cover. Get screw-in chokes too.

Right now come to terms with the idea that this is not even gonna be your last trap gun so get one that will be great while you have it and still be re-sellable when you decide you need something "better".

Cheap guns will NEVER make you happy and will cost you a fortune if you try to make them better. Get a good one to start with.

have a day

Dr.WtS

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.