March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (SKB), 876 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#353016 01/13/14 02:24 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dave, if you find the following question too subjective and therefore potentially damaging to advertisers and supporters, then please let me know. My hope is that all things are taken with a grain of salt and people realize that there are no absolutes for such. Here goes:

What vendor do you feel most comfortable dealing with? Taken into account are things like fairness of pricing, good efforts to meet customer needs, all around gentlemanly behavior. I think you get the picture.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are a bunch of good'uns but my personal favorite is George Caswell of Champlin Firearms in Enid, Oklahoma. Absolutely at the top of the heap.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

My best dealings have been with individuals, private sales. I've had many dealings with gun businesses though, I know I'll get some heat on this one, but some of my best dealings were with Cabelas back when they kept a ginormous selection of good quality guns.
As far as the small shops go, Niles Wheeler was very good to deal with.
Back in the day Duncan at Hill rod and gun was good, Charlie is a good guy too.
I've had some good dealings with Steve Barnett too, every time we made a deal he'd throw in a couple nice extras here and there.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Joel Etchen Guns and of course my local Pawn Shops!!!!!!!!

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

Since the last half dozen guns I bought were off of Backpage ads and purchased at "My Office" which is the local McDonalds parking lot; I guess I have to say McDonalds is my favorite dealer. I purchased a mint condition Colt Trooper there while eating a Big Mac but you have to be careful about getting any sauce on the finish! grin
Most of the other guns I buy are from vendors at shows. Most of the major dealers(Cabelas excepted) including William Larkin Moore set up at our large gun show so there's no reason to go shop to shop.
As an aside:
I used to love going to Mandall's Shooting Supplies in downtown Scottsdale. Marty, the owner now deceased, was a real hoot. I bought a W.C. Scott SLE from Mandalls when they auctioned off the inventory.
Jim

Last edited by italiansxs; 01/13/14 06:02 PM.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Agree about Cabela's. They used to have an incredible inventory of "classic" stuff in just about all their libraries. Now they seem to have the same inventory spread among about 4x as many stores. However, I still deal with them when I spot something on their website.

Mark Beasland (www.mbabllc.com) is just down the road from me--unfortunately! Too much temptation. Mark does not maintain a website with current inventory, but he does make most of the major sxs shoots.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Personally, I just can't decide.

It's either Homeless jOe...

Or, ed good.

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Best I've dealt with is Charlie at Hill Rod & Gun. Had good experiences with Cabela's, Steve Barnett and M. W. Reynolds. Private parties, so, so.

Best of luck to you!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
gjw #353073 01/13/14 06:59 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Kirby Hoyt at Vintage Doubles is a pleasure to deal with. Absolutely honest in my dealings with him.

GaryD007 #353075 01/13/14 07:12 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would agree that Joel Etchen is great to deal with (as is Cole's), if you are buying new or recent make guns. But it is selling vintage guns that tests a vendor's character.

This is a tough subject - YMMV and there are some folks named here that I won't deal with again. KK, you may have phrased it the best way possible in asking who we ar "most comfortable" dealing with, because I am not sure I can say I fully trust any dealers. The two dealers I am most comfortable with are Graham Mackinlay and Francis Lovel - they are both in the UK so you better trust them because returning a gun to them is not really an option.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.