May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Longknife, Ian Forrester, Hugh Lomas, Mike Harrell, 1 invisible), 226 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,496
Posts545,362
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#353197 01/14/14 12:27 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Does anyone here know how to ring wax felt and fiber wads?

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Its been a lot of years ago, but at one time I used both tallow as well as paraffin [like used for canning]. Melted a quantity in a shallow pan to a depth of about 1/16"~1/8" and then set the wads in it for a short time and then set them out like cookies on a sheet to dry. I used a large pair of 12" tweezers that I'd acquired from the Northwestern School of Taxidermy when they used to advertise mail order taxidermy lessons in the back of Boys Life and other outdoor magazines. I sourced the tallow from a rendering plant and it was a real PITA at the time finding an operation that would sell me a small quantity. I ended up with a couple of small aluminum tins filled with tallow by someone who took pity on me at one of the many places that I called at the time. Paraffin OTOH, is quite easily found.

You need to use care that you do not get aggressive with the heat & set the wax on fire. I also think you could as easily use a good quality of old time fiberous cup grease like Esso 'Estan 3'. I was going to try that as well, but never got around to doing it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Use a double boiler please

Marfax (Texaco) and beeswax is what I have used

Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Are you fellas lubing the whole wad, or just the edges? I thought ring waxed wads just had lube on the edge.

Sidelock
Sidelock

HighWall, what are you wanting to do with the wads?
Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Way back when I used to get ring waxed wads from the old Alcan company. They were indeed waxed only on the edges. I believe they were waxed by a process which slowly rolled them through a shallow layer of molten wax. The wax was of course only needed where the wad contacted the bore & the Ring Waxing saved a considerable amount of weight over those totally saturated with wax.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Make card and fiber loads. In reading old material, they say, to try to use best quality, ring waxed wads.

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

You may want to check w/either Ballistic Products or Circle Fly, both have card & filler wads.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've got the wads from them. Don't seem to be waxed at all.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The old ring-waxed fiber wads (Alcan, Remchester) were pretty skimpy with the wax, and cost was likely one factor. Too, the wax was hard.

Blackpowder shooters commonly use a mixture of Crisco and olive oil, or a variation thereof, and just lightly dip the whole thing. Compression upon firing should squeeze out any excess, which I think would be a good thing. If you use a plastic base wad or don't leave them on the shelf a long time, bleeding into the powder should not be a problem.

As noted above, a double boiler is a must.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.