April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Ian Forrester, Ken Nelson), 213 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,840
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#354433 01/23/14 10:50 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm thinking about restocking one of these and considering the addition of a rib on the barrel as a way of mounting a better set of sights and also giving a little more heft to the barrel balance. Is there a source for a rib that could be adapted to this use?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Simmons will install an original looking solid rib with the original Winchester matting pattern. This would be an interesting conversion.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've thought about this quite a bit Bill. The barrel is awfully small for a solid rib and it would have to be considerably scaled down from shotgun size.

Likewise the stock is very small and proportions would be tricky. The Owen Remington gives an idea of the challenge, the stock almost looks too big for the action. And, what to do with the tiny for end??

I would spend considerable time on paper before I made any decisions.

I've got a 61 and they are even more fun to shoot than a 39A. Both are stupid accurate at iron sight ranges.
All, IMO...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SDH-MT
I've thought about this quite a bit Bill. The barrel is awfully small for a solid rib and it would have to be considerably scaled down from shotgun size.

Likewise the stock is very small and proportions would be tricky. The Owen Remington gives an idea of the challenge, the stock almost looks too big for the action. And, what to do with the tiny for end??

I would spend considerable time on paper before I made any decisions.

I've got a 61 and they are even more fun to shoot than a 39A. Both are stupid accurate at iron sight ranges.
All, IMO...
I agree, Steven. I own 3 Winchester M61 .22- one is a later .22Mag- all are original and with std open irons- a solid rib looks fine on a Model 12 pumpgun, but on a M61 just to add a base for a scope. If it were my M61, and it ain't- I'd leave it alone and buy a used Ruger M77 .22LR- I have one with a Leupold 6X scope in the Ruger rings, with a tuned trigger- and the tree rats run and hide for a week hand running when ever I bring that into the woods come a late October afternoon-

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't have a 61 around here but if I remember correctly the barrel is a lot smaller diameter than the receiver and there is a step-down. Have you considered a quarter rib? That might look good with a man-sized stock.

I went through my files and do not have any pictures of custom 61's. I do have one of a Shelhamer Remington 12, it belongs to a member here so maybe he can post it.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think Winchester put a rib on a couple smoothbore 61's during their production. Maybe it was just that they matted the top of the bbl. Confused myself again....
Should be in that book on the Winchester slide action 22's that features the 61.

A 1/4 rib would look nice I think.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Kutter
I think Winchester put a rib on a couple smoothbore 61's during their production. Maybe it was just that they matted the top of the bbl. Confused myself again....
Should be in that book on the Winchester slide action 22's that features the 61.

A 1/4 rib would look nice I think.
I believe that book was written by Ned Schwing. I didn't know the M61 was offered in a smooth (Rutledge?) bore. I can also see some slight resemblance between the M61 and the M42 in .410 bore. Now a solid rib on a M42- like a pinkie ring and an Armani suit on a "Goombah"--

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The barrel is small for a rib unless I can find a low, narrow one to use. Does anyone here have contact information for the shop that makes ribs on the old Winchester equipment? The issue of stock proportions will take careful planning. I have in mind something along the lines of a British rook rifle, slender overall with a narrow waist. This all came about when I ended up with some very nice, but slightly undersize, English stock blanks.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you will measure the barrel diameter of your 61, I will measure a Model 42 barrel for you. The standard Simmons solid rib looks great on a Model 42. The other vendor who does Winchester matting is the Gun Works of Central New York, a pretty good shop, I have heard. Both have websites. Simmons actually installed their 1/4" ventilated rib on some few smoothbore Model 61s. They are actually in early Simmons catalogs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

OK, Bill, the Model 42 barrel is .600 through the body and .560 at the very muzzle. The 1/4" rib looks fine on that gun, sell for big bucks. Simmons is the only place I know that actually installs the solid rib. Bill Murphy in MD.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.