May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (bsteele, Argo44), 588 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,508
Posts545,633
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Could we get this shoot about 600 miles closer to Pennsylvania?

I admire all the fun you will be having (albeit incognito).
CHAZ

Sidelock
Sidelock

decided to delete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Old Joe
This just is my feeling but this shoot is the only one Iv'e ever heard of that camoflauges shooter names by using numbers. I understand that is for them who shoot poorly and don't want their name shown with a crappy score. But those who run the shoot need to recognise also there are shooters who want to see names posted. I know you can never please all. But in my opoinion if this Great Northern ever wants to get in the big league and become more than a local shoot it's going to have to attract better shooters and many will not travel any distance to a shoot that shows scores with shooter numbers that don't mean a thing. And also one that just awards a HOA prize and uses Lewis class to spread the other prizes which does nothing except reward poor shooting. Hey MRC is advertising a nice shoot not a social event. Target shooting is competitive by nature. I know some reading here are thinking hey I shoot for fun. But they just fool themselves, it's no fun shooting crappy and the only way to get yourself in gear to be a better shooter is to see your name at the bottom of the list. Again just my opinion and I value contrary ones. But when decision time comes I'm not going to drive hundreds of miles to the Great Northern unless it uses names and recognises the top class of shooters by score and not Lewis, and I know good shooters who feel the same.

Joe, when the Sagola Township guys were doing the shoot, it was about as "in the boondocks" as it's possible to be: rural UP Michigan. (Medford, WI is slightly more civilized.) But my point is, the old UP Shoot attracted shooters from all over and vendors from all over. They had close to 120 shooters up in the UP some years, and the surrounding population base--let alone "locals" who shoot sxs--is simply not large enough for that to have EVER been "just a local shoot".

That being said, the MRC has made some changes. The Flurry, for example, is no longer part of the official program, although still available as a side event. That change was made because some participants complained about the flurry. I expect, if enough participants complained that names ought to be listed, then names would be listed. As far as the prizes go . . . the entry fee is fairly high. Nice to know you have a chance to win a pretty valuable prize--a decent sxs--even if you don't shoot all that well but end up winning a Lewis Class. I'd be hesitant to pay almost $300 to participate in a shoot where I know that I have the proverbial snowball's chance in hell of winning one of just a relatively few expensive prizes. That's like my money is subsidizing the good shooters. Hey, if they're THAT good, let them compete for top gun. That guy wins his pick of the prize guns. Year before last, I just missed winning Lewis B. That's pretty fair shooting for me, and just my bad luck that I didn't take home a gun. Maybe this year. . .

Last edited by L. Brown; 02/01/14 03:13 PM.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
and just my bad luck that I didn't take home a gun. Maybe this year. . .

Save your money Larry. It's my turn this year!!

Dustin says, "Today is a gift, Have Fun."
Eis Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Originally Posted By: Old Joe
This just is my feeling but this shoot is the only one Iv'e ever heard of that camoflauges shooter names by using numbers. I understand that is for them who shoot poorly and don't want their name shown with a crappy score. But those who run the shoot need to recognise also there are shooters who want to see names posted. I know you can never please all. But in my opoinion if this Great Northern ever wants to get in the big league and become more than a local shoot it's going to have to attract better shooters and many will not travel any distance to a shoot that shows scores with shooter numbers that don't mean a thing. And also one that just awards a HOA prize and uses Lewis class to spread the other prizes which does nothing except reward poor shooting. Hey MRC is advertising a nice shoot not a social event. Target shooting is competitive by nature. I know some reading here are thinking hey I shoot for fun. But they just fool themselves, it's no fun shooting crappy and the only way to get yourself in gear to be a better shooter is to see your name at the bottom of the list. Again just my opinion and I value contrary ones. But when decision time comes I'm not going to drive hundreds of miles to the Great Northern unless it uses names and recognises the top class of shooters by score and not Lewis, and I know good shooters who feel the same.

Joe, when the Sagola Township guys were doing the shoot, it was about as "in the boondocks" as it's possible to be: rural UP Michigan. (Medford, WI is slightly more civilized.) But my point is, the old UP Shoot attracted shooters from all over and vendors from all over. They had close to 120 shooters up in the UP some years, and the surrounding population base--let alone "locals" who shoot sxs--is simply not large enough for that to have EVER been "just a local shoot".

That being said, the MRC has made some changes. The Flurry, for example, is no longer part of the official program, although still available as a side event. That change was made because some participants complained about the flurry. I expect, if enough participants complained that names ought to be listed, then names would be listed. As far as the prizes go . . . the entry fee is fairly high. Nice to know you have a chance to win a pretty valuable prize--a decent sxs--even if you don't shoot all that well but end up winning a Lewis Class. I'd be hesitant to pay almost $300 to participate in a shoot where I know that I have the proverbial snowball's chance in hell of winning one of just a relatively few expensive prizes. That's like my money is subsidizing the good shooters. Hey, if they're THAT good, let them compete for top gun. That guy wins his pick of the prize guns. Year before last, I just missed winning Lewis B. That's pretty fair shooting for me, and just my bad luck that I didn't take home a gun. Maybe this year. . .

Larry, I could not have said it better... This shoot is not advertised as a competition shoot, it is advertised as fun shoot with a chance of taking home a prize even if you are not the top tier shooter. I always had great fun at the UP and this year I am hoping to have the same at this shoot.

JNW Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe,
If you want to shoot your sxs competitively join the NSCA and attend any of the larger shoots. They now all have sxs and pump gun events. Of course, now you will be shooting against AA and Master class shooters who are used to seeing their names on top. Don't expect to see fancy guns, though. Picture a BSS with an adjustable comb and screw in extended chokes. (There is nothing wrong with a BSS-they make great economical target guns). Those boys are all about score! SxS shoots are social events celebrating our guns, and that's okay.
Regards,
Jeff

"We are men of action. Lies do not become us."
Wesley
Sidelock
Sidelock

I can tell you my squad will be back. Name or number? Who cares. If you want to see my name go to ATA amateur Trap Assoc. web site. Bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

These are fun shoots first and formost. I gave up registered skeet years ago and just sold the Beretta 687EELL tube set to favor my favorite side by sides. This will be my first time at this shoot but I shot the U.P. shoot for over 10 years, even bought a house up there!

If your ego won't let you shoot with a enterants number instead of a name then might I suggest you find a registered shoot closer to you so you can see your on the scoreboard.

On another note can someone reccomend a place to stay close to this venue. I can't drive back and forth from Channing smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rich, have you checked out this link to lodging from the MRC website?
http://www.mrcsportsmansclub.com/GreatNorthern/GNlodging.htm

Outside of camping on the venue grounds the closest lodging is at Camp 28 in Rib Lake about 6 miles away, but unfortunately we've got all the rooms booked for this year's shoot. The motels in Medford are approximately 8 miles south of the grounds and the motel in Prentice is about 10 miles to the north. The motels in Abbotsford are about 25 miles to the south. I understand that there are a few lakeside cottages in the area that may be available, too.

PM sent.

Wild Skies
Since 1951
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Guessing this event will be on Fathers Day again this year. June 13, 14, and 15.

May be just me but did not see the dates on the web site.

Thanks.

tim

Dustin says, "Today is a gift, Have Fun."
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.