April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Jtplumb, Marks_21, fab500, Fudd, 2 invisible), 451 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,159
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This is a partial copy of a post made by Wonko over on the "Rip Off" thread. Rather than help beat that dead horse some more I started a new thread.

Originally Posted By: Wonko the Sane

And, JIC you may not have noticed, that moronic usage of "water table" still is used by people who contend to know better. The proper term is

ACTION FLATS

Wonko can you give a reference that gives as fact the phrase "action flat" is the correct description and that "watertable" is wrong.

While Morris Hallowell isn't known as an authority (I always found him knowledgeable) I did copy this from his website's extensive definition section:

"Watertable - The top of the bar of the action, the flat projection on the front of the receiver of a side-by-side gun, perpendicular to the standing breech. The cocking arms, hingepin and locking bolts are typically mounted inside the bar, below the watertable. The Table, or the Action Flat."

http://www.hallowellco.com/abbrevia.htm

I have always used water table and action flat interchangeably, favoring watertable.

Wonko nothing personal. Just hope to have a mildly interesting discussion of double gun definitions.

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 01/27/14 05:39 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Duels have been fought over less.

Last edited by ninepointer; 01/27/14 05:50 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

We've gone through this before . The term "watertable" was used in U.S. catalogs long before Wonko the ?? was born. I guess he'd like to rewrite history. Look up the past posts on this subject.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wonko is probably correct. A Round-over Chamfer Watertable is a common feature of both English and Colonial Georgian architecture, and looks more like the standing breech with the wall forming the action flats (did I at least get that right smile )

http://books.google.com/books?id=8roaAAAAYAAJ&pg=RA2-PT49&lpg

Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew, I almost thought it was you who came up with the watertable term in an early, was it Ithaca, catalog. Hmmmm

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: AmarilloMike
This is a partial copy of a post made by Wonko over on the "Rip Off" thread. Rather than help beat that dead horse some more I started a new thread.

Originally Posted By: Wonko the Sane

And, JIC you may not have noticed, that moronic usage of "water table" still is used by people who contend to know better. The proper term is

ACTION FLATS

Wonko can you give a reference that gives as fact the phrase "action flat" is the correct description and that "watertable" is wrong.

While Morris Hallowell isn't known as an authority (I always found him knowledgeable) I did copy this from his website's extensive definition section:

"Watertable - The top of the bar of the action, the flat projection on the front of the receiver of a side-by-side gun, perpendicular to the standing breech. The cocking arms, hingepin and locking bolts are typically mounted inside the bar, below the watertable. The Table, or the Action Flat."

http://www.hallowellco.com/abbrevia.htm

I have always used water table and action flat interchangeably, favoring watertable.

Wonko nothing personal. Just hope to have a mildly interesting discussion of double gun definitions.

Best,

Mike

Needlessly describing use of the term "water table" as "moronic" already made it kind of personal ... as usual.

Jay

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Daryl Hallquist
We've gone through this before . The term "watertable" was used in U.S. catalogs long before Wonko the ?? was born. I guess he'd like to rewrite history. Look up the past posts on this subject.

Here are the ones I found, went back six years in this section. Never thought to look. I guess I wasn't paying attention those days.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=249097&page=1

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...true#Post226003

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pay no Attention to Kangaroos or Wonkos smirk grin

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, in the spirit of a mildly interesting discussion, suggesting that the use of the term water-table is "moronic" and by inference just should not be done, is the same as suggesting we would be moronic to use the term "tubes" when we are really talking about barrels.

Language is fluid. It changes, evolves. In this case, there is no right or wrong. Just two different terms that everyone knows refers to the same thing.

Now one reason, besides it being my native language, that I like English, is it's gigantic assortment of words from which to choose to construct the most accurate description of whatever idea is being communicated. The huge vocabulary allows for more nuance than most other languages, so I understand. So in that vein, can anyone point to any slight difference in the meaning of water-table and action flat or are they always, exactly referring to the identical part in an identical way.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

As far as the English language I like the symmetry of "barrel flats" and "action flats." Never noticed it until I read it in those old threads.

I am glad to be here.
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.