Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Simpsons has some Brno sidelock ejector SxSs made in Communist era Czechoslovakia.

Anybody owned one? Quality? Fit?

They aren't asking for much money for them.

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Haven't seen much of them, but they appear to be typical mass-made Soviet Block guns: solid and robust, but a bit behind on looks and finish.

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Mike, funny you should ask. I had one about 8 years ago. Bought it and sold it. What I can tell you is the one I had was a "funeral" model, all blued (almost black) sideplates, sans any engraving. One hell for stout double, fit was okay, wood plain as all get out. The ejectors really tossed the hulls. It was choked F/F. But heavy! Mine weighed in at around 7 3/4 (12ga). Not the best handling SxS, but okay. As best I can remember the trigger pulls were not that bad, and it shot fine, didn't have any regulation problems. I was going to use it as a truck gun, but the weight was just too much, sold it at a Pawn Shop, they had no idea what it was and in fact I made $10 on it.

I'm curious about the Hungarian doubles you see form time to time.

Hope this helps.

Best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

I never owned one, but the BRNO's were retailed in Ontario in the '70s/'80s and continue to have a reputation here as "sleeper" guns in terms of quality. They were considered to be a cut above the Savage/Stevens 311's. I'd probably have a BRNO in my collection if not for the fact that every one I've seen had a cheek piece for a right-handed shooter and I'm a lefty.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have owned BRNO's. they were clunky, STOUT, and I did like
the double-double trigger system in the O/Us

In the Brno ZH series, the front trigger fires the top only; this is unusual.
Often this is a push forward set trigger.

The rear trigger is a single, nonsellective; it is unusual to pair this with a single trigger that only fires one barrel. Rear trigger fires the bottom barrel first and then the top barrel on second pull.

Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 01/29/14 04:17 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've had a couple of the Czech SxS shotguns. Nice, solid, European game guns. Here are some pictures.

Really, really simple lock works:

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have 3 of them. A straight grip ejector gun with somewhat upgraded wood and a pistol grip non ejector in 12 gauge. I also have a 16 gauge non ejector. I like them (obviously) and don't find them clunky at all and the fit/finish is not bad at all on the ones I have. Can't say about the over/unders as I never held one. You can buy the SxS's in Canada starting at $200.00 for fairly used to around $500.00 for one like new with the average condition price of around $375.00. Except for 16 gauge. They are very hard to find here and go for quite a bit more if condition is there.

Last edited by gunsaholic; 01/29/14 05:10 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I bought two of'em a number of years ago at our local gun-show. One was a ZP 47 extractor 16ga and the other a ZP 49 ejector 12ga. Both had the plain blued action and were dated 1960 and '62 respectively. Quality seemed fine to me.

The 16ga was a joy to shoot but the 12ga was heavy and I could not shoot it well at all. I missed 4 separate gobblers with it one opening weekend. Standing! It had to Go! Never could figure out where it was shooting for me but it had to be really high since one miss was at 15 feet at two longbeards with their necks crossed. Must have been high because there was nothing but forty some odd pounds of turkey below. Still haunts me.

I sold them both to another gentleman who posts here. He has posted pictures of the 16ga (ZP 47) after he re-did the stock to remove the cheek-piece and refinish the nice fiddleback figure. I think he told me he didn't much like the 12ga either.Maybe he will post the pic again...Geo

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 02/12/14 04:28 PM. Reason: had model numbers wrong
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gunsaholic
I have 3 of them. A straight grip ejector gun with somewhat upgraded wood and a pistol grip non ejector in 12 gauge. I also have a 16 gauge non ejector. I like them (obviously) and don't find them clunky at all and the fit/finish is not bad at all on the ones I have. Can't say about the over/unders as I never held one. You can buy the SxS's in Canada starting at $200.00 for fairly used to around $500.00 for one like new with the average condition price of around $375.00. Except for 16 gauge. They are very hard to find here and go for quite a bit more if condition is there.

There's a 12 ga. straight gripped ejector described as VG condition currently listed at $650 in a well-known Canadian retail shop. In other words, you're bang on wink

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you all. That was very helpful.

Simpson's had a 12 gauge that they described as in almost new condition for $600. It is on hold the last I looked.

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.