March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, Sandlapper, Jtplumb, Bob Jurewicz), 326 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: jeweler
At 7 I would stay with the .410 and enjoy the experience. He will enjoy the 4 wheeler and the camo probably ore than the shooting of wild game ...... let him shoot a dove n the tree or cans on the ground..

Good advice!

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

This why I expressed there are so many variables for the reason of child size and there fore gun choice. My daughter was/is tall. At 12, she was 5'10". Because of her size, I did choose the standard 20 ga Rem. 1100. Not only could she shoot it well, she really doesn't need another gun for size or ga. requirements, unless she wants it. I bought 2 barrels for the gun. Came with a 26" skeet and bought a 28" vent rib mod. barrel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Get a 20ga 870.

Boxlock
Boxlock

My suggestion is to start new shooters with a semi auto that fits them in 12 gauge using 1 1/8 oz shot. When I first heard this I thought that it would be too much gun for youth. "Youth" in this instance would be Boy Scouts shooting the Shotgun Shooting Merit Badge. The requirement is that the youth hit 12 out of 25 targets thrown twice. I was able to get a very high percentage of youth to meet this requirement. The rational that I was told is that the semi auto reduces the recoil while 1 1/8 oz shot increases the likelihood of success.
At a coaches conference held at the Olympic Training Center I asked the shotgun coaches in attendance what they felt was the best gun/ammo combination for that purpose and they agreed that the 12 gauge semi auto was the way to go.
Accordingly I would suggest an old Browning A5 ( the Scouts all seemed to prefer that gun)
By the way, I feel that 1 oz shot out of a light 20 kicks more than 1 1/8 oz shot out of a 12

Sidelock
Sidelock

A 1 oz load in a 20ga to shoot targets? Its not a load that meets the rules. It seems excessive.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There's a young man (15) in the neighborhood that I'm going to try to help introduce to the shooting sports (grandpa is an NRA instructor, but is two states away). I had been reading this topic with interest, and had asked my friend The Stock Doctor for some advice. He said if the Gunbroker deal I was following didn't work out, he had a Remington Model 58 in 16 ga with screw in chokes, and a dial or lever or something that allowed one to shift between hotter or milder loads. Said it cycled 2 1/2" loads like a dream. Since I have a 3/4 oz low pressure 2 1/2" load for my doubles, sounded like a plan for a 6lb 14oz auto.

Looks like I can get a synthetic stock fairly cheap, cut that to fit, leaving the original alone to re-install as he grows.

Then Dennis said, "You've even shot it."

Huh?

Yep, when I was at Flatwater two years ago. You shot it, said it was nice, and handed it back saying "but I don't shoot autos." **

Dennis says it is packaged up and ready to go. Looking forward to the journey.

**Excepting cranes and turkeys

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: italiansxs
Originally Posted By: gwsmith
OK - I've spent an hour looking for an 1100 LT 20 youth model online and it seems they don't exist. Discontinued years ago and I can't find one listed on any of the auction sites. I can find a youth stock for sale - I assume I can put that on a regular 1100. Do the youth models ever come up for sale?

Yes they do:
But they are in high demand for obvious reasons. You'll just have to be patient and persistent and I'm sure you'll find one.
Jim

I see Remington is now making an 11-87 youth model. Anyone have any experience with these?
After reading this thread I have changed my mind about the 28 ga. Ugartechea bought for my grandchild's starter gun. Should have been thinking gas operated 20. Still time to get it right, he's only 13 months. Not trying to rush the boy, just afraid I might not be around when he gets ready for his first shotgun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The only reason I didn't recommend the 1187 Youth model waaay back in this thread is cost. Perhaps $699 is nothing to some of the participants here but I suspect this is not the case with the majority.
My original thought was to shop around for a good deal on a Youth 1100 as this should be cost effective.
However; If this gun is going to be used by multiple youths the cost can be amortized and an 1187 might make economic sense here.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.