April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (LeFusil, Hugh Lomas, 4 invisible), 922 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,106
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew,
If needed, I can supply the needed Damascus barrel section. Just please let me know, best to email dennispotter@att.net or call 414 425 4830. And I will contribute to costs also.
Dennis

Dennis Potter
Sidelock
Sidelock

I noticed they want the sample from the muzzle. Maybe, a section from where the barrel might be subject to the highest pressure would be interesting. A sample that will be or already is xrayed might give clues about predictability.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Craig: here is the response from the metallurgical engineer at METL. Whether from the muzzle or the breech, the barrel will need to be machined to a standard thickness.

We'd be machining flat tensile specimens so we'd need at a minimum 3 inches of barrel length. Our machinist suspects the least taper of wall thickness at the (muzzle). We'd probably be making 0.250" reduced section or 0.160" reduced section samples.
There are two charges associated: the machining charge for preparing the samples and the testing charge for pulling them. We base the machining cost off of how hard the material is (how much it degrades the cutting tools) so I'm not really sure what to expect with this Damascus material. The low end charge for soft material (aluminum, magnesium, etc.) is $25/sample and the high end charge for hard materials (superalloys) is $55/sample. The cost of machining should fall in that range. The cost of testing is a flat $17.50/sample.

Last edited by Drew Hause; 03/15/14 10:56 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just for fun, I have a WILLIAM Greener (not WW) Damascus barrel set, London address that says, in addition to the name and address: "Barrels Indestructable by Gunpowder"
C. 1866

[IMG]
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

William must have borrowed that from that other Greener fella

"Laminated Steel Indestructible By Gunpowder"

Greener pinfire

Greener percussion double

The L.C. Smith listing in the 1908 Sears, Roebuck & Co. Catalogue No. 117 included “Bored For Nitro Powder” (both Armor and Damascus barrels) and the Notice “All our guns are tested with heavy loads and cannot burst except by carelessness, obstruction in the barrel or improper home loaded shells with nitro or dense powder.”
That last sentence pretty much says it all.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause

“All our guns are tested with heavy loads and cannot burst except by carelessness, obstruction in the barrel or improper home loaded shells with nitro or dense powder.”

For Damascus barrels in as new condition that claim is true today!

Last edited by Mark Ouellette; 03/16/14 03:10 PM.

USMC Retired
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've now received, or are in transit, 10 pattern welded and 3 fluid steel barrel segments for tensile strength testing. After METL completes the Failure Analysis, I'll take them together for testing. We all fully recognize this will not represent a statistically significant study, nor should the testing reassure anyone as the strength or integrity of YOUR barrel, but this should be interesting smile I would still like a piece of a very low grade JABC junker if someone has a barrel out in the barn.
Of particular significance is the fact that the freshly cut, not cleaned barrel, some with terrible bore pitting and corrosion, has a wall surface that looks like any other freshly cut metal AND NO ORANGE LACE as mythology would have us believe! I'll probably pick the worse looking surface for METL to examine under microscopy to confirm the absence of interlaminar rust.

Special thanks to all those who have contributed in some way, esp. Dennis Potter:

Dan Wildhaber
Mike Brown
Will Evans
Chris Helms
Phil Haycock
Jason Marks
Clifford A Russell
Stephen Helsley
Monty McGee
Mike Novy
Joe Dreisch
Gil Russell

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Don't see no stinkin' orange lace smile

Gerald Hunter “Don’t Blow Your Head Off!” Gun Digest 1962
Composite barrel metals are brittle, to begin with. The laminations were put together without accurate control, so the walls are not uniformly strong. Each joint of forge-welded metals is a potential pocket of rust or corrosion which holds together today but which by tomorrow may be ready to bust wide open.
Damascus barrels, once thought safe with black powder, are no longer safe! They’re getting older every hour and those hidden rusty – and rusting – areas are growing larger, the barrel walls thinner, and that hundred-and-first shot may blow ‘em up.

A collection of the non-cleaned, non-etched, non-nothing freshly cut barrel walls, part of the soon to be tensile strength tested

I'll probably pick the worst bore and have Adam section and photomicrograph for interlaminar rust.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
Don't see no stinkin' orange lace smile

Gerald Hunter “Don’t Blow Your Head Off!” Gun Digest 1962
Composite barrel metals are brittle, to begin with. The laminations were put together without accurate control, so the walls are not uniformly strong. Each joint of forge-welded metals is a potential pocket of rust or corrosion which holds together today but which by tomorrow may be ready to bust wide open.
Damascus barrels, once thought safe with black powder, are no longer safe! They’re getting older every hour and those hidden rusty – and rusting – areas are growing larger, the barrel walls thinner, and that hundred-and-first shot may blow ‘em up.

A collection of the non-cleaned, non-etched, non-nothing freshly cut barrel walls, part of the soon to be tensile strength tested

I'll probably pick the worst bore and have Adam section and photomicrograph for interlaminar rust. Hey Dr. Drew- check your PMS messages. I just offered you a set of D grade Damascus barrels from a Lifter 12 bore Parker--How does that strike you- great early series barrels from the Brothers of Parker- yeah!!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew,

I'm glad that you posted the picture of these barrels. Of course, I knew that there would be no "orange lace", or any indication of the laminations. But, a picture is worth a thousand words.

When making damascus steel knife blades, the damascus pattern is not visible during the grinding and sanding before etching. It appears to be a mono steel. The pattern only becomes visible after etching.

There was a question in an old thread, about the barrel grinder's contribution to the creation of the damascus pattern. They had none. The damascus pattern was not visible to them, during their work.

Steve Culver
Steve Culver Knives
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.