April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (KDGJ, 67galaxie, 1 invisible), 423 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,787
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have known Michael for 25 plus years although never had the
Horor of meeting him face to face. We shared an interest in
earley American Shotguns especially Mullin and Schaefer. He
was always free with his knowledge. Enjoyed many conversations
Will miss this Fine Gentleman Greatly.
Bill McPhail

J W McPhail
Sidelock
Sidelock

It has been two days since I read of Michael's passing. In those two days, I have come back to this forum time and again, trying to put my profound sense of loss into words.

I did not know Michael personally. We exchanged e-mails and letters. I read and learned through his postings and his writing, but my sense of loss and my appreciation for Michael's work goes far beyond that.

Each of us has those days and hours allotted to us to make of them what we will or can. Michael used his allotted time well. He leaves behind a legacy. When the clock ticks its last for each of us, how will we measure up?

Richard

Sidelock
Sidelock

My condolences to his family.
I corresponded with Mike a number of times and shared some photos and specs. on a between the warts custom Springfield of unknown make.
He will be missed.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Boxlock
Boxlock

I am truly saddened to hear of Michael's passing. Another giant has fallen. Mori

Sidelock
Sidelock

Like Waterman I have struggled with a response to Michael's passing. we have exchanged emails and posting here several times, Michael was always ready to help with information. Mike rekindled my interest in prewar sporting rifles through this forum. His knowledge will be almost impossible to replace. RIP Michael.

Jim A.

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

While more of a shotgunner than a rifleman, I would often lurk here and recognized him as a man who knew what he was doing and who was generous with his knowledge and advice; in addition to his family, I am sorry for everyone here for losing such an irreplaceable fountain of knowledge and friend. Gil

Boxlock
Boxlock

I've not logged in for some time and had no idea of his passing. Rest in peace sir.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've known Michael for more than 40 years. We traded guns a bit but information much more; they were pretty lop sided trades. As many of you know, before he retired ten years ago, he worked an oil platform off Alaska. Not being inclined to play cards, he used his many off duty hours to research rifles/gun makers.

As xausa and eightbore both reported above, he wondered what to do with his research materials upon his death. The Rifled Arms Museum idea died with Mark Benenson, so that is out. I think the Cody Museum is perhaps the best repository. I hope that wish can be fulfilled.

When we last spoke less than two weeks ago, we knew he was on a steep down hill, but thought there were a few months left to finalize details. Obviously, we were wrong. I was going to send him the Zischang Borchardt .25-35 he admired from my collection to let him have 24/7 access to it, but now even that option is gone.

We have lost a good man!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Richard, I think you answered your own question. You didn't know him and admired him. People tend to admire others of shared qualities.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My deepest sympathies to his wife and daughter. I shall treasure his legacy.

An admirer from his home state.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.