April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (j7l2, LGF, bsteele, bushveld, Lloyd3, earlyriser), 433 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,465
Posts545,066
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
GJZ Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've hunted grouse and woodcock in thick Michigan and Wisconsin cover using guns with 30-inch barrels and did not find them a hindrance which, not surprisingly, shows that nca225 doesn't know what he's talking about.

Sidelock
Sidelock

While barrels have been known to come into contact with trees when hunting grouse and woodcock--unless you spend all your time walking trails--it isn't often the last 2-3" that's the problem. That being said, extra barrel length = extra weight. Not a lot of weight saving going from 30" down to 28", but more significant if you go down to 25". All depends on what floats your boat.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: nca225
Each to his own I guess. I cant see using anything with barrels over 28" in the grouse woods.

For most part the English do not have problems with bushes and branches. They do driven game, woodpigeon on flight line or hunt behind dog in north Scotland where few if any trees grow. American likes to go deep into thick bush where favored weapon is old vintage short-barreled smoothbore 20ga Ithaca Deerslayer loaded with 7.5 or 8s. Great skeet gun too.

Please don't laugh..... my "grail gun" is Winchester 37 20ga with 32" barrels.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have never found barrel length an issue as to working in cover I take my guns (30") guns all over and hunt thick African bush, pigeon hides, rough shooting, grouse in butts, driven pheasants etc. I don't think an inch or two ether way makes you any more likely to hit a tree with your gun etc. The only real exception would be a double rifle for African hunting in thick mopane scrub. Short barrels make the walking a lot easier.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I just thought this gun particularly nicely made, un messed with and the handling and balance characteristics 'feel' right. It will be interesting to see. Chambers are the standard 2 1/2"

Sidelock
Sidelock

I prefer 25 and 26 inch barrels for grouse,bobwhite and woodcock.I also have 27,28 ,30 and 32 inch smallbores. Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

Parker DHE 20 w/32" pipes.

MIKE THE BEAR
Unregistered
MIKE THE BEAR
Unregistered

Bob, That 32" Parker is just about as sleek as a gun can look. "Rapier like" is what comes to mind.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Like a fly rod!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GJZ
I've hunted grouse and woodcock in thick Michigan and Wisconsin cover using guns with 30-inch barrels and did not find them a hindrance which, not surprisingly, shows that nca225 doesn't know what he's talking about.

What exactly is it that you're contributing to a discussion about the usefulness of long barreled guns in the grouse woods by turning it to a personal attack? Several other members posted about the propriety of sub 28" barrels while hunting grouse. Are you suggesting they don't know what they are talking about either? BTW, have you published any authority on the benefits of 30"+ barrels in the grouse woods. You seem to be holding yourself out as an authority on the matter cause what works for you must work for everyone else.

Or is it that since I figure you probably don't share my infamous politics or maybe you have been singed in the past by one of my legendary insults, but those are confined to a different forum, so why don't you keep it there champ.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.