May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Chantry, Toby Barclay, 3 invisible), 1,157 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,511
Posts545,656
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#359203 02/28/14 12:48 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I recently acquired more than a few Remington #57 primers. I have a small supply of older Remington/Peters cases but I would like a few more. Anyone have a stash of Rem/Pet cases collecting dust under the loading bench they've kept around hoping to pawn them on some sucker?

Model 21 Fans Stop By at:
http://members.tripod.com/bluepike/
Sidelock
Sidelock

What gauge?

Have have been shooting *57 primers at skeet for years trying
to get rid of them. Had 10,000 and am now down to a manageable quantity for my Alcan all brass hulls.

But you NEVER know when you might get more smile

Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I shoot 12, 16 and 20 gauge. Most of my shooting is hunting, grouse, pheasant and the like. I make one or two trips west each year. The rest of the time I hunt MI or at my local gun club. I shoot about 1k/yr at clays. I need paper or plastic hulls, I have a good supply of fiber wads. thanks for asking

Sidelock
Sidelock

You come out west, any chance of coming through Amarillo?

If I may be so bold, how many *57 primers are you trying
to use up?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have over 1k plus a couple of boxes of RP plastic wads. I plan to use the primers for bird hunting, upland and waterfowl. I booked for a spring snow goose hunt, just finished loading 3 boxes of 3-inch 12 with iTX-10 #2's, ouch! I used new hull w/209 primers, but the loading manual has loads that will work in the older hulls. If the hunt goes well I'll go next spring, by then I hope to find enough 3-in R-P hulls. Next fall I'm planning a pot-hole hunt where I'll shoot 2-3/4, again if I can find enough hulls.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a similar problem. I have just south of 4000 #57's. I recently was able to get 200 primed hulls off of GB and had another 100 cases. I'm presently loading them now for my target shooting and starting to make a dent in them. One fella I talked to from this board suggested to cut short pieces of plastic straw and put these over the primer and seat them in a standard 209 case. There are diffrent size straws so you have to get the right ones. I tried it and it does work but is very slow. I would load these for hunting loads since not that many are required but I shoot alot of targets and with components a bit hard to get now I went the old Remington hull route. Another thing you can try is to glue them in a standard case with RTV silicone. A little smear around the primer pocket should do it and you can let these hulls fly.

Sidelock
Sidelock

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

I use superglue, just a dot of the stuff, to glue the #57 primers into cases I load with CleanShot BP sub powder.

I only load the cases once anyway with the stuff, so the glued in primer isn't a problem.

Somewhat of a pain, but it goes pretty fast.,,,

I line up 20 or 30 primers on the bench. Then take a deprimed case in one hand and with the tube of SG in the other,,put just a tiny amt inside the primer pocket. Then push that case down over one of the primers on the bench. Grab another case and do the same,,and on. It's easy to prime 50 to 100 in a few minutes.
(Not so great if you get over confident and not watch the overflowing glue down on your fingers and hand).

Remington Black promo hull is the only one that I've found that will not melt and leave plastic in the bore with the BP sub. Still have to use card and fiber wads though.

But the primers were cheap at $5/brick. Marked as 'obsolete , will not fit modern shells'. I guess that's true.

I tried peening the primer pocket tighter on a ball bearing,,probably about 5/8"d. Just laying the ball on a lead block to keep it from skipping around,,it'll pound a seat into the lead after a bit of use.
Put the deprimed shell pocket on the ball and I use a steel rod (1/2"?) down the hull. Give it a couple healthy wacks. It seems to crimp the mouth/face of the pocket inwards a bit.

It's enough to securely hold onto the #57 primer. It doesn't downsize the entire length of the primer pocket (I don't think),,just the mouth, but I think that's what the commercial tools do also.
It's just got to hold it there so it doesn't fall out or back out.
My light smokeless loads do fine with them and the crimp is reusable. So I run these through the MEC but single load the #57 primers so I don't get them mixed in with any 209s in the primer feed.

The smash-em method gets kind of old and nerve wracking after a couple boxes and the superglue method begins to look good again.

What we won't do for cheap reloads.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.